Can we take things from the ocean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am a new diver. I just went on my first ocean dive post certification and while I was diving found a dead sand dollar and a Sheepshead fish jaw with teeth. I was tempted to bring them ashore but showed my husband and left them because I thought we couldn't take anything.

Mentioned this to the divemaster and boat captain later and they said the only thing off limits was coral of any kind (dead or alive) and living creatures and that I could have taken my finds for a souvenir. Is this true?

I was also on the boat with a diver that has over 500 dives under her belt and she mentioned that she had been turning stones, lifting pieces of the shipwreckage and looking under things for various creatures and finds. I was under the impression that diving was a "look and don't touch" kind of activity. Is this something that is allowed? I assumed it would disturb habitats and sealife to be jostling things around.

Just trying to learn the proper diving etiquette as I want to be a safe diver and not harm the environment but it would have been cool to have a few of those souvenirs if allowed.

Some places are no-take zones, meaning even the things you found would be off-limits. Based on what the DM and captain told you, it sounds like this wasn't one of those places, but you should always verify for yourself before you decide to take any souvenirs. As to whether you should take things you're allowed to, that's a subject of much debate. Personally, I don't take shells, but I might take teeth or a jawbone.

Just trying to learn the proper diving etiquette as I want to be a safe diver and not harm the environment but it would have been cool to have a few of those souvenirs if allowed.

This is highly variable and largely opinion. Would you pick up a shell that washed up on a beach or purchase one in a store? If yes, it is fine to take it when found underwater, where not prohibited by law. Most shells and fish bones will be pounded into sand and offers very little habitat. Do you eat seafood? If yes, there should be no hesitation to spearfish or collect crustaceans when diving because it is the least wasteful means of harvesting seafood.

IF your answer is no to the above questions, then consider underwater photography.

I have seen some unusual rules. For example while recently diving in Costa Rica I was told not to touch the invasive crown of thorns. You'd think the dive shops and government would promote their removal since they eat coral.

Here at home I will grab uncommon shells with nothing living in them. For example my last dive at home I found a collection of various shells at the den of an octopus. I didn't think twice about grabbing a really nice and large sea scallop shell. It will eventually turn to sand and not even a hermit could use it. I have taken empty and aged conch shells that could clearly be identified as me not killing the conch, which would be illegal in Florida.

As for bones or shark teeth or other things of that nature, have at it. The idea that a sheepshead jaw would be off limits while taking one alive to eat would be illogical.

My biggest issue is don't break the coral.

I am a new diver. I just went on my first ocean dive post certification and while I was diving found a dead sand dollar and a Sheepshead fish jaw with teeth. I was tempted to bring them ashore but showed my husband and left them because I thought we couldn't take anything.

Mentioned this to the divemaster and boat captain later and they said the only thing off limits was coral of any kind (dead or alive) and living creatures and that I could have taken my finds for a souvenir. Is this true?

I was also on the boat with a diver that has over 500 dives under her belt and she mentioned that she had been turning stones, lifting pieces of the shipwreckage and looking under things for various creatures and finds. I was under the impression that diving was a "look and don't touch" kind of activity. Is this something that is allowed? I assumed it would disturb habitats and sealife to be jostling things around.

The easiest rule is “take only pictures, leave only bubbles.”

this can be a touchy subject with some divers.

there may be local laws and regulations you must follow as far as what can and cannot be taken.

there also may be customs laws and regulations that you need to be aware of for when you try to leave the country. many times they will take things away from you at the airport.

then there are import laws in your home country. so even if you were "allowed" to take something from the sea, and then leave the country with it, your own customs agent may take it away when you enter your country.

then there is the moral issue.

generally speaking, the idea of removing anything from a dive site should be frowned upon. and we are not talking about legally harvesting lobster or spearfishing etc.

but when you ask a specific question about taking a piece of a jaw bone from the ocean floor for example, is that really a problem ? i would say no.

what about wrecks ? this is where many people differ in their opinions. many of us believe that absolutely nothing should be disturbed or removed form a wreck. but there are those that go out of their way to take anything they can get away with.

some divers feel their right to please themselves outweighs any other concern. god forbid you leave things alone so all the other future divers can enjoy it. i am sure you find this behavior shocking right ? :) especially in todays world.

Will the next person enjoy seeing it? Then leave it where it is. I don't understand people who collect crap just to put it on their shelf where nobody will ever look at it. Diving is decades behind hiking in ethics but hopefully will get there at some point.

what about wrecks ? this is where many people differ in their opinions. many of us believe that absolutely nothing should be disturbed or removed form a wreck. but there are those that go out of their way to take anything they can get away with.

some divers feel their right to please themselves outweighs any other concern. god forbid you leave things alone so all the other future divers can enjoy it. i am sure you find this behavior shocking right ? :) especially in todays world.

It's a somewhat controversial topic, but since you seem to be implying malice in a behavior that is extremely common in my area (NYC wreck diving), let me politely present a counter argument. Our wrecks are rapidly dissolving into piles of rust on the ocean floor. So some people feel that removing and conserving artifacts allows these historic wrecks to speak to many more people than if they were to just remain buried in the sand or hidden under tons of collapsing steel.

I personally usually just take pictures, but the few pieces that I have mean a lot to me, and are displayed where non-divers can hear their story.

Casualties of warfare have different considerations, as do wrecks that are owned by someone. I'm not an expert on that type of law.

Different places have widely different attitudes and rules, be that official or unofficial. Frequently depends upon the availability of "the things" and any surrounding history or scientific implications. Cold green seas with plenty of shipwrecks tend to be far more relaxed than somewhere with a single one in clear waters -- the Thistlegorm, Truk/Chuuk -- or "world heritage" sites such as Scapa Flow.

If in doubt don't. May be worth asking the skipper for the local rules before you jump.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom