Full PhD scholarship recording bubbles in divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Buzzacott

Registered
Reaction score
A new PhD scholarship was announced on Monday, to study bubbles in recreational/technical divers here in beautiful Perth, Western Australia. The exact divers have not been selected yet, the fine detail will be sorted out in the first six months, as with all PhDs, but it will involve measuring bubbles in divers, and diving is very popular down here. Plus we are building a pool inside our new $2.4Million multiplace chamber for some controlled dives, so a combination of fieldwork and experimental work.
INTERNATIONAL APPLICATIONS ENCOURAGED!!
Curtin University is ranked in the top 200 universities worldwide. All PhD tuition fees are covered plus it comes with an almost $30,000 per year tax-free living allowance, and many other allowances (e.g. $4,000 for quarantine, plus a new laptop/software, conference fees, travel, etc). Details are here: Scholarship details - Scholarships

By all means please do share this news widely. This opportunity will disappear on 13th August if no-one applies. The student can start sometime next year, or sooner if they want, but expressions of interest close in four weeks. Some experience at research is a must (e.g. masters degree, a publication, etc).

But I thought we didn't want bubbles.

Sounds kind of like the study they did to figure out how high of a fall a cat can survive. "Yup, survived a fall from 25 meters.... let's move up to 26...." Title of study, "Cats can survive falls from 25 meters."

But I thought we didn't want bubbles.

Sounds kind of like the study they did to figure out how high of a fall a cat can survive. "Yup, survived a fall from 25 meters.... let's move up to 26...." Title of study, "Cats can survive falls from 25 meters."

Have you done any reading on decompression from the last 20 years? Most divers have bubbles after diving.

Terminal velocity of a cat is less than what it takes to kill it:wink:

Have you done any reading on decompression from the last 20 years? Most divers have bubbles after diving.

Terminal velocity of a cat is less than what it takes to kill it:wink:

oh, so studying carbonation of the body, not necessarily the bends. Cool.

That's interesting about the cat. hmm. So you would have to include an impelling force from the roof, not just gravity. Like a slingshot.

Doggone it. I want this. I'd be almost perfect for it.

If I read it properly, sadly, I don't qualify. :(

Doggone it. I want this. I'd be almost perfect for it.

If I read it properly, sadly, I don't qualify. :(

Its cause your Canadian, isn't it? But you're both subjects of the Crown!!

Sounds like the study Mark Powell and DAN ran at the UK's National Diving and Activity Centre (an 80m/260' quarry). Running ultrasound scans of divers following certain defined dive profiles.

Sure there was a video on this - can't find it.

Interesting.
What kind of Master Degree do the candidates need to have? Engineering? Medical Doctor? Biotechnology?
Are candidates already holding another PhD allowed to participate in the selection?

Interesting.
What kind of Master Degree do the candidates need to have? Engineering? Medical Doctor? Biotechnology?
Are candidates already holding another PhD allowed to participate in the selection?
I think you are overqualified :)

Back
Top Bottom