Things you are (almost but not really) ashamed of doing while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suggest the same. Especially GUE fundies or TDI/IANTD intro to tec: good focus on basic skills and team diving.

EDIT: but GUE is better :D
Romeo y Julieta Vs GUE. The former wins

I am thinking of buying a Garmin Mk2i next week. If I am putting 1000+ on a DC, it might as well be a smart watch. Is it as good as the Perdrix?

I do not wear a watch so cannot say what the Garmin is like. I am extremely happy with my Perdix. Some think it is overkill for the diving I do but it is not. It gives me more information than other dive computers plus I like the fact I can decide what information I want on the main screen. For me money was not the issue. There is the Shearwater Teric watch with the Perdix functions.

I have been more than happy with my Mk1. I do not care for AI, so no plans to upgrade to a Mk2 anytime soon. I've had mine for a year now, and recorded over 200 dives on it. Never had any technological issues, and I've found both the interface and the app to be simple to interact with. It is my daily watch, and I use it's fitness and smart watch capabilities regularly. As far as the lighting, I've never had any issues with it during the day or night. Newer OLED displays might be a bit more crisp and bright, but I've found the screen on the Mk1 readable in just about any conditions.

I have been more than happy with my Mk1. I do not care for AI, so no plans to upgrade to a Mk2 anytime soon. I've had mine for a year now, and recorded over 200 dives on it. Never had any technological issues, and I've found both the interface and the app to be simple to interact with. It is my daily watch, and I use it's fitness and smart watch capabilities regularly. As far as the lighting, I've never had any issues with it during the day or night. Newer OLED displays might be a bit more crisp and bright, but I've found the screen on the Mk1 readable in just about any conditions.

Are you in the Facebook group of MK1 owners? Many people reported technical issues. That said, I have no idea of how many watches they sold, so maybe the percentage of technical problems is minimal. And, again, the warranty is amazing, really (I had a problem with my steel MK1; to solve it, they gave me a new MK1 titanium with the titanium bracelet, and the process took roughly one week - which is not a lot during a pandemic).

Just out of curiosity, did you compare the MK1 with other products of the same level? Because I believe Shearwater products win hands down against MK1.

I think that if I was only into DC, I would go for a Shearwater Teric with no hesitation. But I am also interested in the fitness, the GPS, the health features and the smartwatch capability all into one.

I think that if I was only into DC, I would go for a Shearwater Teric with no hesitation. But I am also interested in the fitness, the GPS, the health features and the smartwatch capability all into one.

Another option should be the Fenix 6, which is water-resistant to 10atm (= roughly 100mt):
Garmin fenix® 6 | Multisport Fitness Watch

It is not a diving computer, but, if I am not wrong, an app exists to use it as a scuba computer. Cheaper than the mk2, but without the tech features (which you don't use, right?). Double-check the diving app if you are really interested in it, because I have never seen it - I only heard friends discussing it.

By the way, why do you want an all in one device? Which benefit do you see?

Are you in the Facebook group of MK1 owners? Many people reported technical issues. That said, I have no idea of how many watches they sold, so maybe the percentage of technical problems is minimal. And, again, the warranty is amazing, really (I had a problem with my steel MK1; to solve it, they gave me a new MK1 titanium with the titanium bracelet, and the process took roughly one week - which is not a lot during a pandemic).

Just out of curiosity, did you compare the MK1 with other products of the same level? Because I believe Shearwater products win hands down against MK1.

I am in the FB group, and have seen the reports of issues. Just speaking from my own personal experience of the product, I couldn't be happier.

I have not had a chance to get "hands on" with a shearwater. If/when I make the jump to technical diving I will likely be investing in that brand, since I do believe they make a more comprehensive and adequate dive computer for that level. When I was in the market for a new computer I was comparing the Teric and the Garmin for my recreational diving and instruction. Given comparable prices, I decided for the product I would get the most use out of. So far have not had to go through the warranty process, fingers crossed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom