Punta Sur/Devil's Throat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dirk & George,
I do have an air integrated sensor, but am not sure what happened on that dive. It’s been a couple of years ago. I certainly defer to Dirk’s expertise in regards to the plot. Maybe my sensor didn’t work that dive, and I entered the data manually. But here is the plot on the very next dive that day.

upload_2021-7-19_19-54-46.jpeg

My apologies to the OP if this has accidentally de-railed his topic. Just to keep it on task, I will add that I wish we had done a second dive in that far south end of the island. I’m not sure if the depth allows a second dive down there. The Maracaibo (sp?) area is another area I would like to check off my bucket list.

I dive DT on an AL80 and have air to spare. I’m a pretty low air consumer though. One of the guys on the last dive exited at 130 or whatever it is with less than 500. He was supposedly a very experienced diver (much more so than I). He swam up to 15 feet pretty quickly and hung out there until he ran completely out of air. (Won’t be diving with him again). In any case I’d have to look at the dive log but we were well past the NDL. Also, there’s no way I’d dive nitrox on DT. Isn’t necessary and presents unneeded risk with no payoff. Dive nitrox on the following dive if your dead set on using it. As for the dive itself, it’s an experience and definitely worthwhile.

In any case I’d have to look at the dive log but we were well past the NDL. Also, there’s no way I’d dive nitrox on DT. Isn’t necessary and presents unneeded risk with no payoff.
It’s been a long day and I admit I am probably not firing on all cylinders so I have surely misread this.

You dove air until well past NDL? Deco? On an al 80? And you state this is much safer than diving nitrox with on MOD at 1.6 for, let me check my log, yes, 50 seconds?

I think it’s time for me to go to bed.

It is hard to understand how not going past NDLs on nitrox when you went way past them on air means nitrox provides no payoff.

BTW, Cathedral and Devil's Throat are not the only Punta Sur Dive sites, but no one dives the third (can't remember the name) much. About 10 years ago or so, diving with Aldora with Memo as the dive guide and using 120s with nitrox, we did all three on one dive. Memo called it "active nitrox diving."

It’s been a long day and I admit I am probably not firing on all cylinders so I have surely misread this.

You dove air until well past NDL? Deco? On an al 80? And you state this is much safer than diving nitrox with on MOD at 1.6 for, let me check my log, yes, 50 seconds?

No, not “well past NDL” that was a poor choice of words on my part. We were just past NDL.

Oh, also, I wasn’t commenting on your use of nitrox. I was just saying in general I wouldn’t recommend it for a dive like this, (especially not knowing the divers understanding of nitrox). You understand the science and the risks. A lot of folks, even those certified to dive nitrox, either don’t know, don’t remember or don’t care enough to relearn the science before diving. I’ve heard some nitrox certified divers say some idiotic things about The how, when and why of nitrox.

A lot of folks, even those certified to dive nitrox, either don’t know, don’t remember or don’t care enough to relearn the science before diving

How about posting your DT dive profile with air usage to help us understand the basis of your recommendation to go into deco on 21% vs. briefly achieving 1.6 PPO2 on 32%?

Like you, I’ve heard some divers say idiotic things.

How about posting your DT dive profile with air usage to help us understand the basis of your recommendation to go into deco on 21% vs. briefly achieving 1.6 PPO2 on 32%?

Like you, I’ve heard some divers say idiotic things.

Neve done that and don’t know how. Also, based on the tone of your post, I don’t feel like arguing. I am in Cozumel and would rather enjoy my time than allow myself to become aggravated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom