Help Needed, Visiting the Indonesian Islands for the First Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, I hadn't even considered that the landscape of dive and homestay companies could be completely different by June 2022 so thank you for pointing that out. Also I hadn't been considering Bali because I had seen online (mainly youtube vlogs) that peoples expectations weren't being met once they arrived. Now of course Bali is a pretty big island so maybe they just stuck themselves in the busiest, touristy places on accident. From your experience is Bali worth it to stay and dive five days? Also I had seen that traveling from island to island could be very long and exhausting, that's why I've really been debating about this last leg of the trip.

Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you again.
Other members of this group have more and more recent experience with diving from Bali. But I heard and read many very positive stories, also at this forum. Maybe best is to do a search on this forum first and see what shows up. And then again, Bali 2022 (or probably later) will be a dfferent place again than the Bali in the " old stories " .

I'm interested in responses to your thread, since I haven't been over there, either, and I've been researching the topic rather like you have...and yes, it's a lot of info. to dig through. I've seen a couple of issues come up before that I don't think have been discussed yet in this thread, so I'll bring them up from my notes and see if those of you who've been there can confirm or deny where my notes so far are right.

The question of Komodo vs. Raja Ampat comes up from time-to-time on the forum. The impression I got was Komodo has more drift diving but maybe better viz. (but north Komodo and south Komodo are somewhat different, so it becomes important to decide which you will hit, if not both). I've been told RA has the edge on diving (note: this could start a big debate, I imagine!) but if setting foot on the island of Komodo or neighboring Rinca and seeing wild Komodo dragons in person, and being able to say 'I've been there!' every time Komodo is mentioned on a nature show, well...

From what I've read, the Raja Ampat live-aboard season is Oct. to May (but the best time is narrower; Mid. June to Mid. Sept. monsoon season, and Dec. and Jan. are good times to go). I know you're not after a live-aboard, but when the boats go might suggest when diving is better.

With Komodo, north Komodo is warmer with better viz. and south Komodo colder with more plankton and lower viz. but rich life. I think it's from Blue Water Dive Travel's site that I put together this blurb:

"c. For best access to all sites, BWDT recommends March to May, and again Sept. to Nov. From mid.-May to early Sept., SE winds make some southern sites inaccessible – but it’s the best time for northern sites! Mid.-Nov. – Jan. is optimal for southern conditions, but most northern sites are exposed.
d. Best all access: March – May or Sept. – Nov.
e. Best Northern: Mid.-May to early Sept. Best Southern: Mid.-Nov. – Jan."

I have no idea what seasons are best for other regional destinations - Bali, Sulawesi, PNG or the Solomon Islands.

You've not been outside the U.S., this is a university club, and some of your people are afraid of sea sickness and being on a boat (you didn't say they suffer from it, just that they're afraid of it). Gotta ask...how much experience do you guys have? I ask because, for example, the drift diving and lower viz. of southern Komodo don't sound like a great match for a fairly new diver.

Apologies in advance for whatever I managed to screw up in my efforts to wrap my mind around some pieces of this large, diverse region. I hope others' answers to my questions can at least be helpful.

Haha no problem at all this was very helpful. Like I said before there could be too much information out there, it can make it hard to decypher what really matters. From what I've been seeing on the thread and I think even BWDT suggested this as well is, don't spread your trip too thin. Considering that, I think Raja Ampat will be a whole other trip for me and who ever. As far as diving experience is concerned I know that I am comfortable with almost anything. We dive a lot of lakes in upstate South Carolina (130 ft and cold and dark), as well as the wrecks off of Morehead City, NC and Florida. My only concern would be one of the group members (3 of us for now) is less experienced having an open water done at rainbow reef in Key Largo. If Komodo drift dives are on the docket I might work with him a little bit on experiencing different conditions. My question for everyone, do you recommend divers be advanced certified to do these drift dives? Myself and my other buddy are both advanced with 200 - 300 dives done, and our other friend is open water with 20 - 25 dives. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

For the OP who only has 5 days for diving I would say Tulamben Amed area would be good. If you want 5 days of diving then you cannot plan trips to other areas that also take another day to get to. Last year I had planned Tulamben Amed, Raja Komodo and Lombok but that was on a 24 day vacation where we could take time to travel and see other things as well as dive.
5 days of diving will fly by pretty quickly. Get the best out of it by not trying to travel to too many places.

Thanks and also to clarify the total trip is at 18 days including flying in and out from the US. so really that gives me 14 days of diving and exploring if you consider it takes two days to fly in and fly out from east coast US. In that 14 days I'm starting to think a quick flight to Komodo would be the best third option, with Bali and Nusa Penida being the other two stops. What are your thoughts on visiting Lombok, is it worth it?

I ask this of the group, isn't there a Gili island that young people really enjoy?

And of you, @Thomas Fair, I ask how serious are your fellow travelers about diving? Is this an all diving all the time trip or an adventure/fun trip with diving?

I am very serious about diving and underwater photography. I would like to go to some really cool land spots as well hence why Nusa Penida is on the docket. Also it is a dream of mine to see Komodo dragons which is why I am heavily leaning towards Komodo. As far as Gili T is concerned, from what I've seen it looks like Miami beach spring break which is a hard pass for me. Sorry if this is just a gross over simplification of Gili T, my research about these islands tends to come from obnoxious travel vloggers. The divers tend to stick to videos under the water :wink:

I am very serious about diving and underwater photography. I would like to go to some really cool land spots as well hence why Nusa Penida is on the docket. Also it is a dream of mine to see Komodo dragons which is why I am heavily leaning towards Komodo. As far as Gili T is concerned, from what I've seen it looks like Miami beach spring break which is a hard pass for me. Sorry if this is just a gross over simplification of Gili T, my research about these islands tends to come from obnoxious travel vloggers. The divers tend to stick to videos under the water :wink:

You have satisfactorily answered my question. :p

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for guiding me through all of this. Unless something comes out of the blue I've probably said my peace on this. I was a bit quick to judge Bali and I'm also not going to spread my trip too thin. Knock on wood if I am able to go next year I will be sure provide an update on how everything went. As always, diver's truly are the best community!

@Thomas Fair If you want to sightsee at Nusa Penida, especially for photography, you could easily go over for a couple of days or more, by ferry from Padang Bai. (all assuming that certain things remain equal at the time of your trip)

+1 for Underwater Tribe. They really know Indonesia diving and Mike and Luka can put a group trip together that meets your needs.

You really do need someone who knows diving in Bali to help. Doing it yourself can get you to just the “tourist” dive spots which can be disappointing. Coming here could avoid that - lots of experience here - but someone from the area really helps.

Personally I would do half the trip in and around Bali and the balance in Komodo. Bali first to get acclimated with easier diving and then Komodo will blow you away and your beginner divers will have had a week of diving before doing some more challenging dives.

Also personally I like to do some tourist things in Bali like visit temples or do some hikes in hills as well as diving.

Besides having a Covid vaccine, what vaccines should one get to go to Indonesia? Also I agree, I will start including Bali in my planning and I will try and do more thorough research.

Thanks
I’m covered for Yellow Fever, Typhoid, Tetanus, Japanese Encephalitis, Rabies, amongst others. I also take anti-malaria tablets. But speak to your doctor for the specific things you need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom