Seafrog salted line a6xxx

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyndle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
I just received and tested my new seafrog case. No leaks but it doesn't look like it's closing properly (see pictures). Is that normal? Is it supposed to seal properly with pressure?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210716_204013.jpg
    20210716_204013.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 20210716_204019.jpg
    20210716_204019.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 106
At that resolution, it is hard to tell what the problem is, in your opinion.

Sorry about that! Not sure how it's loading on your computer but on mine it's loading in sufficient resolution to see the gap.

I reuploaded them here just in case, please let me know if it still doesn't work?
20210716-204019
20210716-204013

Thanks!

I’ll check mine in the morning (all packed in the trailer and I just got to the lakes) but that looks like I remember it.

If you look at this image (some website review) you’ll see a bit of a gap if you zoom in. The silicon gasket is making the seal not the acrylic surfaces. If there was no gap I’d be more worried.

I take it you didn’t get/order the vacuum tester?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/610Y7MnBg4L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

It is better now. I have another version of Sea Frog case for A6000, but the gap is about the same. If you have doubts, test the case w/o the camera in a water bucket. Off note, keep an eye on the cord that secures the dimmer so it does not get stuck under the lid when you close the case.

Thanks for the replies, that's reassuring :)
No I didn't take the vacuum tester, I owned the older seafrogs/meikon A6000/6300/6500 case, did hundreds of dives with it,never had the slightest issue or fear. But I'm starting to regret this new version, there are so many more potential failure points, it's scary!
I'll try to leave the case 24h in a bucket and see if it leaks, I guess it's the best possible test. But my opening seems wide, wider than what I can see on your link CanadaDan.

CFFDE8EA-619E-48C8-B22E-6AFEEC051ACF.jpeg

7A62EA76-7D21-4241-A9AD-F11CAD0BD0DC.jpeg

Here’s mine… I can definitely get a finger nail into it. After a little cleaning and assembly this morning I used my vacuum tester… held no problem.

You’re right about the number of failure points, I’ve had leak problems before. For me it was the pistol grip port at the bottom.

New a6xxx housing from Meikon

Thanks for the pictures, it looks like mine. Just left it in shallow water for a few hours, no leak, so hopefully it'll be fine.

That pistol grip is scary, I will never open it for sure! And same with the vacuum pump opening (which btw makes no sense, you're supposed to remove the device and put back on the screw after your test, so basically you could have a leak on that screw!)

That pistol grip is scary, I will never open it for sure!

That might not actually be a panacea. I never touched the pistol grip port on my gen1 housing, yet after about 3 years of use, it corroded to the point where water started slowly leaking inside. The corrosion problems should be solved on the gen3 housing (Meikon sold me a replacement for $160 + shipping, including a short macro port instead of the default flat port), but I plan to maintain that plug from now on.

And same with the vacuum pump opening (which btw makes no sense, you're supposed to remove the device and put back on the screw after your test, so basically you could have a leak on that screw!)

I always dive with the vacuum system attached. If you look at the official promo shots, so do their marketing guys.

definitely get the pump - and leave it under pressure for several hours to test. my a6xxx failed on its fourth dive. The pump light showed green when I loaded the camera the morning of my dive. Just as I hit bottom on my first dive that morning the light turned red and the leak detector started to beep. I was able to come up quickly enough that the camera was fine, but I was never able to get it to seal properly again. It would hold pressure to about the 2 - 3 hour mark then fail. The company agreed to send a replacement back, but it's taken about 18 months to get it due to covid restrictions on incoming shipments where I was living (Cayman Islands). It's arriving next week so hope that solves the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom