Trip Report Sunscape Curacao, Ocean Encounters Diving A++++++

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@John Bortle

No buoy or smb needed. Entry is giant stride off the dock. Typical swimming pool ladder exit, one step was missing when we were there and you had to step on the step bracket on that one. There is a rope to pull your gear up if you want to.

Please tell Jorge at the dive shop and Norma at the pool bar that Jay from Oklahoma says hello. Jorge likes his coffee black with lots of milk!

Safe travels,
Jay
Thanks for the info Jay.

Part 2-

There were all the typical reef critters, far more scorpion fish and trumpet fish than you see further north. Lionfish were plentiful, but the juvenile reef fish populations were still healthy. We did our part to cull the LF population as well as a few more divers we met. We did not see any octopi on our night dives, but we did see an amazing frog fish and a sea horse on a boat dive.

About 200 yards down the reef West, (wild assed guess) there is a debris pile at around 50 feet. This debris pile continues in a line down to a barge at 180 feet. cars, trucks, vehicle frames, steel beams, boats, and probably everything else lies in this pile. A friend described it as looking like a city exploded down there. I made it to the barge, but there is supposedly another sunken boat even deeper. I was feeling froggy....but not that froggy. Anything deeper will have to wait until I have a set of doubles or side mount.

I was damn near despondent (self medicated with Norma's fruity tropical drinks made it better) when I heard that they were shutting the island down on Wednesday and boat diving was canceled. After playing on the reef a little, I could have cared less about the boats. The reef is that good. The beaches were beautiful with no biting critters at anytime.

The day before we left, we all went and got antigen tested at a shipping container turned medical office across the street from the resort at no charge to us. I believe the resort picked up that expense. We all had the results back within hours.

The only bad thing was the music went late into the night, sometimes 2 am with private Bluetooth speakers later than that around the pool. Our room was particularly close so it made it worse. I don't travel well with limited sleep so that was the only drawback to the entire trip. The resort was not crowded at all and I think several buildings were empty.

No drama on the way home other than American delays only allowed us about 3 hours in our hotel rooms in Dallas.

I'm a fanatical diver. Like a healthy crack addiction....but worse...much worse. I went to dive, and the reef was absolutely everything I could have hoped for and more. I spent over 18 hours diving in 5 days on this trip and only surfaced because my wife would have hidden my regulators had I pushed it further. Night dives, morning twilight dives as the sun came up, and day dives at all depths never ceased to be "The Best Dive Ever!!", But the service from Norma, Verona, and George absolutely made the vacation incredible. Beyond Incredible. Should they ever see this, Thank you again!!

We will definitely be back. When the world returns to whatever normal lays ahead, if the resort was a crowded my opinion might change, but the reef was amazing and worth the trip alone. If you go, George likes his coffee with a lot of milk in it, no sugar, and not too hot. Coffee with George every morning was a highlight of the trip!!!

One love my Jamaican Amigos!! (Fist bump and tap your heart twice...you are now Jaimerican!!)

Sunscape Curaçao | Family-Friendly All-inclusive Resort
Curacao's Premier 5 Star Dive Resort ★ SSI & PADI courses for every level

Safe travels guys!!

Jay
Were lionfish closer to shore by chance? I free dive while my kids are snorkling

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom