"Right to Repair" - Potentially great news for DIY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There will have to be a new rag!
The scuba equivalent to Hot Rod Magazine! :rofl3:
Screenshot_20210714-165426_Google.jpg

@rsingler except the aftermarket seats just don't hold up as well based on my experience with the copies of the apeks 1st stage seats. you get to then decide if you want to rebuild more often with aftermarket kits or pay more for oem.
Just like Roche and the generic drug manufacturers. Or any part at AutoZone...

In all my time on this earth, I've never had any object that Ive said "gee, I wish I could fix this but I'm not allowed".
I had this tag on something that I bought that clearly stated that I can't remove it under penalty of law.

That was most inconvenient as it really messed with the sewing machine...

except generic drugs are copy exact and aftermarket car parts can exceed oem spec if you buy quality stuff. i haven't seen the same with reg parts and the volume likely will not reach to the point that happens either.

In all my time on this earth, I've never had any object that Ive said "gee, I wish I could fix this but I'm not allowed".

No, but plenty of times I've wanted a manual and access to parts, rather than reverse engineer and try to build my own parts.

except generic drugs are copy exact

The "active" ingredient is, but don't count everything else.

No, but plenty of times I've wanted a manual and access to parts, rather than reverse engineer and try to build my own parts.
We all know that the parts are brain-dead stupidly simple rugged and reliable parts. They either fit or they don't.

If something has critical issues, I won't dive it as there are PLENTY of excellent alternatives.

If something has critical issues, I won't dive it as there are PLENTY of excellent alternatives.

I was talking about diy repair in general, not just dive gear. I usually draw the line on using anything that is in poor enough repair to kill me.

Sounds like someone wants to "control the means of production." Where does it end?

When it comes to tech, especially something like dive computers, ongoing support and the ability to do firmware updates are factors I consider before making a purchase. That seems to be good enough in a free society.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom