Certify Open water students in Both SDI and PADI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they have to do BOTH exams and ow has a couple of extra (different skills ) plus liability and med forms are different ...MOST of the water skills are the same ........ check BOTH standards to be able to do it , as the instructor of record its up to YOU to do it .........

they have to do BOTH exams and ow has a couple of extra (different skills ) plus liability and med forms are different ...MOST of the water skills are the same ........ check BOTH standards to be able to do it , as the instructor of record its up to YOU to do it .........

No need to both exams for a referral, from the PADI Pro site:
Assess the diver’s knowledge by administering one of the following, and remediate as necessary to verify mastery:
• Open Water Diver Online Quick Review
• ReActivate Quick Review
• Open Water Diver Course final exam

Full text from the page linked above:
NonPADI to PADI Referrals
Student divers who completed their initial training with another diver training organization may come to you to complete training. They may realize that a PADI certification card is widely recognized around the world and want their training to end with a PADI certification.
Follow these steps:
1. Review the referral document to verify that the student diver has completed the knowledge and skill development portions of an entry-level scuba course.
• Make sure the training completion date listed on the referral document is not older than 12 months.
• Check to see if the diver has completed a waterskills assessment (at least a 200 metre/yard swim or 300 metre/yard mask, snorkel and fin swim, and a 10 minute tread/float). If you can't verify completion, have the student diver complete the Waterskills Assessment.
• Retain a copy of the referral form.
2. Before any inwater training, have the student diver complete:
• PADI Medical Statement. If the student diver indicates any medical conditions, the diver must obtain a physician’s approval unless the diver provides a current (within 12 months), signed medical release . Note, however, that any new medical conditions will require a new medical release signed by a physician.
• Standard Safe Diving Practices Statement of Understanding
• PADI Release of Liability/Assumption of Risk/Nonagency Acknowledgment Form – General Training or PADI Statement of Risk and Liability/Nonagency Acknowledgment Form – General Training, EU Version. (What if the referred diver is 10-11 years old? – See FAQ)
3. Assess the diver’s knowledge by administering one of the following, and remediate as necessary to verify mastery:
• Open Water Diver Online Quick Review
• ReActivate Quick Review
• Open Water Diver Course final exam
4. Assess the diver's skills by conducting a confined water dive that reviews Open Water Diver course skills in preparation for open water training dives. Remediate as necessary.
5. Ensure that the student diver has a personal PADI Open Water Diver Course Manual manual (book or digital) for use during the course and for reference afterward, unless unavailable in a language understood by the student diver. Ensure that the diver has a log book.
6. Conduct open water training dives with the student diver. Make sure the diver successfully completes all Dive Flexible Skills.
7. If you complete the student diver’s final open water training dive, you certify the diver. You must process the diver’s certification card online or submit a PADI Positive Identification Card (PIC) envelope to your PADI Regional Headquarters for processing.
For more information – refer to your PADI Instructor Manual, Open Water Diver Instructor Guide

see what happens in court when you try to defend a referral to your self ......im done so i wont argue the point

Why do you think SDI is better?

Off the top of my head:

1. If you take the standards seriously (I do), and you don't certify anyone you wouldn't want diving with your friends and family, I think that's better than just sticking to mastery of skills.

2. Allowing freedom in instruction. If you are certifying one student with PADI, they will only do a partial flood and regulator recovery on OW dive 1 (and maybe some flex skills). But with SDI, I have the freedom to do more, based on what's best for the student.

3. Cost. SDI costs less, so I can charge less and maintain the same profit margin.

4. SDI has always given instructors access to student eLearning. PADI did decide to gift us that last year, but up until then, I'd wager most instructors hadn't seen PADI's e-learning materials.

There's some advantages to PADI courses too. Nitrox is more comprehensive, students can get college credit for courses... I'm not on the hate on PADI train, but SDI has been better for me at every turn.

I'm working on my MSDT and I'm close and want to keep certifying students in both depending on what I'm doing. Was just curious and it appears the instructors I have seen doing this are not following standards. Thanks guys

I'm an SDI instructor and PADI OWSI. I had a few students want their PADI card after completing their open water SDI course. Is there any rules or issues with this? I have seen instructors in the past just make them buy the card.

This is commonly done for PADI self reliant / SDI solo. Even though the PADI course is more extensive some places want to see the word "solo".

the PADI course is more extensive

That's true if an SDI instructor sticks to minimum standards. However, quite a few (not all) SDI instructors far exceed the minimum standards (a requirement for a good course IMHO).

You would need to make sure you followed all necessary standards and procedures.
And then run PADI academics as well. And you should charge extra for the PADI materials and cards.

But the issue is really simpler. I certify students thru SDI. My students understand that the agency name on their card is the least important thing. An SDI card allows them to dive just the same as a PADI card. And i can deliver SDI classes at a lower cost than PADI. So there is no really good reason to "want" a PADI card.

The card that many ops will pay the most attention to is VISA or MasterCard. I tell this to all of my students.
The only one that seems to be preferred by a few ops is the SDI Solo card over the PADI Self-Reliant. And it's simply a matter of the words Solo actually being on the card.
If you're teaching an SDI class give them the SDI card. If they insist on a PADI card, teach the PADI course.
I issue SDI even though I'm teaching essentially the same class I did as YMCA/SEI instructor because the SDI Standards allow me to add material and structure the class to meet the needs of the student. I still teach tables in addition to the computer, go over the emergency deco procedures for informational purposes and to help illustrate the gas management aspects. I still include rescue skills that were in the YMCA OW class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom