Channel Islands... What do I need to know...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has been a few years but i think you can call ahead and try to reserve a steel tank. No guarantees on availability but they have some 100s i think.

Not only does renting save having to drag a tank, but it avoids waiting while your tank is filled. You just trade your empty for a full rental. It's not a big deal on slow days but waiting in line can throw off your schedule it's busy.

It has been a few years but i think you can call ahead and try to reserve a steel tank. No guarantees on availability but they have some 100s i think.

Not only does renting save having to drag a tank, but it avoids waiting while your tank is filled. You just trade your empty for a full rental. It's not a big deal on slow days but waiting in line can throw off your schedule it's busy.
I would definitely call. I have been hauling mine as well, but at least one of the boats has only aluminum. Though on a boat it doesn't matter as much because you're only walking a few feet. I don't think I've seen anything bigger than a 100.

Try the back side of Catalina / Farnworth, if a trip is going during your visit. Bring a camera. Maybe an Oil rig, you can get your own scallops if you get fish & game license.
Good Divin,
SoCalRich

Since we are talking Catalina. I always drag my Steel 130 but I think this year I would love to rent instead. Is it still just AL80s for rent or can you get a Steel 100 or bigger?
If we're talking rentals from Catalina Divers Supply on the island, yes, they have steel 100s. Only bummer is they don't have steel 100s with Nitrox, though they do have AL-80s with Nitrox and they'll fill your steel 100 with their banked Nitrox, so that's a reason for me to sometimes bring my own tank. It's probably a good idea to call ahead and reserve if it's important to you, although I rarely get around to it and they've never been out of the 100s when I've shown up.

On the boats, most don't provide tanks at all and those that do mostly don't give you a choice of size, so be prepared for that.

All ready for the ferry. We'll see how well this works.
20210712_141009.jpg

Day 1 diving done. Don't know how people dive this wet. I saw bottom temps as low as 59 degrees. Vis sucked and it was pretty surgey to me. Also my GoPro locked up after my first video.

Say Dr Bill's golf cart in from of the Hotel Atwater as I was walking back to my hotel after stopping by Vons.

Day 1 diving done. Don't know how people dive this wet. I saw bottom temps as low as 59 degrees. Vis sucked and it was pretty surgey to me. Also my GoPro locked up after my first video.

Say Dr Bill's golf cart in from of the Hotel Atwater as I was walking back to my hotel after stopping by Vons.
Individual physiology plays a big role. Plenty of people dive wet in Monterey, which is a few degrees cooler. It is shocking how cold the water is. I will happily swim at the surface on the east coast over Memorial Day, but I really want a wetsuit to swim in the Pacific in August! Sorry you don't have great conditions. The winter has the best and worst, can be 60 ft vis or you can be completely blown out by a gale. Summer is worse vis on average but no storms, so kind of a tradeoff. Did you get to see anything underwater?

Individual physiology plays a big role. Plenty of people dive wet in Monterey, which is a few degrees cooler. It is shocking how cold the water is. I will happily swim at the surface on the east coast over Memorial Day, but I really want a wetsuit to swim in the Pacific in August! Sorry you don't have great conditions. The winter has the best and worst, can be 60 ft vis or you can be completely blown out by a gale. Summer is worse vis on average but no storms, so kind of a tradeoff. Did you get to see anything underwater?

Yeah physiology and what you are used to is probably a pretty big factor. On the surface they were stripping down and saying that it was hot and humid. I was comfortable just unzipping my suit a little. For me the weather is great, this is fall/spring weather for me.

Fish wise I saw lots of fish, most I don't know. But saw a stone fish, amore (sp on purpose), garibaldi, some nudis, and quite a few fish that looked a lot like a grouper.

sounds like a warm California day to me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom