I lost my PLB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I really liked that older model fine, had the battery replaced and the unit refurbished a couple of years ago, and I hate that it's gone. It was after the last dive of the trip so no risk there, as a wire in the connection came loose in handling somewhere. The metal name tag was found, but not the canister and unit. I should have checked that closer before the trip and replaced it before leaving home. I am going to try to claim it on my trip insurance, but I'm not optimistic.

So I think that I will go with the ACR 2992 View. It seems worth the extra cost over the 2921, and I don't want to buy a used 2881 not knowing the condition well enough for my comfort. I'm looking for a canister again as the Hdvseatek seems to be no longer produced. PLB dive canisters are still difficult to shop for.

This one looks like a maybe: Best Divers 40m Waterproof Dry Canister - Big Flat - The Scuba Doctor Dive Shop I don't know if they ship to the US, and I am a little concerned about the fit. The ACR 2992 measures 4.52"/114.808mm Length x 2.03"/51.562mm Width x 1.49" Depth and the canister inside dimensions are listed as 135 mm x 52mm. The curve of the canister is going to make 51.562mm too close to call. The price is nice at $43 Australian dollars/$32 USD plus shipping, but I need to know more, and quickly as I have another trip in 5½ weeks. I'll try emailing them.

While I am waiting on a reply, anyone else found a good PLB canister for $100 or so?

I saw that same item a couple of years ago and realized that I’ve seen it in and off at various tourist water stuff stores. I think they are probably all made in the same factory and the Australia place just pressure tested one for fun.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scuba-Di...ylindrical-Dry-Box-with-Clip-Yellow/193650804

I think I got mine somewhere on Hawaii in an ABC store for $15. I ended up putting in some fishing weights to make it less buoyant. Mine has been to the Duane at 100 feet with rental car keys in it, fingers crossed. It’s not like you’ll get any more back from down under if their “version” leaks.

Mako has one that looks slightly different and you can call them more easily.

Waterproof Canister

I think they are probably all made in the same factory and the Australia place just pressure tested one for fun.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scuba-Di...ylindrical-Dry-Box-with-Clip-Yellow/193650804
Well, that's interesting. Out of yellow, blue is $24, black is $10. Inside diameter: 2.07" x Inside length: 5.04". Sounds too close to 2.03" when you try to allow for the curve.

Mako has one that looks slightly different and you can call them more easily.

Waterproof Canister
Measures 7 inches long x 2.5 inches in diameter, which are outside dimensions I bet.

When I looked at the listings at the Aussie site, I see that they offer others with the same 135mm x 52mm at even lower prices than the first one I noted. I worry that none of these will really stand the pressure and be big enough.
Search Results - The Scuba Doctor Dive Shop

I don't know if they ship to the US
That's my "local" dive shop, they say at the bottom of the description if they won't ship that item OS so that should be fine. Having said that, surely you can find something the same or similar in the US?

That's my "local" dive shop, they say at the bottom of the description if they won't ship that item OS so that should be fine.
What's fine? OS is overseas? I didn't see anything about international shipping on that page, but I did on another: International Orders: We will accept orders from customers in some overseas countries, however we will only send orders to an Australian address.
Having said that, surely you can find something the same or similar in the US?
So far, we're close, but maybe not there. And I don't know that this model is wide enough.

Oh yeah, that's new. If you really want that one you can get it sent to me and I'll send it on, the postage will add up though.
72973F7C-3CE1-4F13-B179-00DB74E5A0A5.jpeg

For fancy stuff PLB Housing

Size wise I would measure across the diagonal of width and depth to get minimum diameter for any cylindrical container.

I use a CustomDivers canister
PLB DIVE CANISTER (NOV2016) INC BELT MOUNT - DIVING CANISTER

ScubaDoctor sells them as well, which doesn’t help you. But Custom Divers are an English Company, the web site says they will send a quote for shipping to the US and there are some US based reviews. I have an ACR plb-375 ResQLink +, which is
1.6 x 1.9 x 4.5” (4.1 x 4.8 x 11.4 cm) according to the ACR web site.

Back
Top Bottom