Glue Sealife strobe arm????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maremd50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm just getting back into photography after the whole Covid-not-diving-much thing. I pulled out my camera and the stobe light section literally fell loose from the padded flexible arm area. The wires are intact, and I can tuck the padded area up whee it belongs but it isn't secure enough to hold it securely. It seems like I should be able to somehow tape or glue the hard plastic base of the light itself to the rubbery material that encases the bottom section with the wires. Any ideas/experience with this? Any suggestions on what product I should use? Its a fairly old set up, but it works great and now that I've retired, I'm not anxious to invest a lot into underwater photography. Thanks for any help.

Pictures of how it broke might help

FA2F57D5-0C52-4658-8EA3-6DB979EF3A79.jpeg
Pictures of how it broke might help

Thanks! That was super helpful. I was able to get it taken all apart. The very top section of the loc-line stuff had a crack in it where it attached to the flash housing. Basically, I took out the broken section with my hubby's help, and the arm is just a bit shorter than it was. Its still plenty long to angle the flash over the camera itself, and now we know a bit more about how the camera works. Thank you for the video - without it we would have not had the confidence to take out a few screws, make a couple adjustments and get it functioning again. :)

That's awesome to hear! You could find some replacement loc-line to add if you want to lengthen the arm. Not necessary, but longer arms = less backscatter. It looks like the standard 1" loc-line but you could measure to make sure.

Another question....now that I have the arm fixed (just a tad bit shorter), I'm wondering about sealing the top edge of the neoprene tube that covers the loc-line. Should I seal it with a cement of some sort to prevent sea water from getting down into the arm? Like the loc-line filling up with salt water? Or is that crazy and I should leave well enough alone? If you look at the picture, it looks like it may have been glued when it came from the manufacturer. I'm not sure. Ideas, anyone???

Leave it alone. Sea water will get in no matter what, it's okay for those parts to be wet. If you can spray fresh water in there to rinse out the salt after dives that's good. Or better yet, soak the whole camera rig in fresh water after use.

A lot of cameras use the same type of loc-line arm without any foam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom