Trip Report The Dogfight (P-38 & Corsair) -- Newport Beach, CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Two very interesting airplane wrecks that are largely unknown here in Southern California. They collided back in January 1944 and the rumor is that they were involved in an unauthorized dogfight. They are both debris fields without any fuselage structure but very interesting to dive.

We had unbelievable visibility on the Corsair dive. Water was 54F on the bottom and a balmy 68F on deco @ 20'.

The whole story along with photos and information about the planes is posted here:

The Dogfight (Newport Beach, CA)

Photo of @California Diver at the prop of the P-38:

p38-cover.jpg

Most awesome trip report! Super cool. Thanks! Makes me want to try and plan a trip to visit (i dig planes too!) I know a couple of people that might enjoy this!
Question:
--- I could not find the depth. Could you share what this is? Are doubles or rebreathers required?

--- Also, wondering if you've seen these and if you haven't, then maybe you might be interested! (retro 51 is the brand).

Attachments

• 2123176_n.jpg
    2123176_n.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 89
Most awesome trip report! Super cool. Thanks! Makes me want to try and plan a trip to visit (i dig planes too!) I know a couple of people that might enjoy this!
Question:
--- I could not find the depth. Could you share what this is? Are doubles or rebreathers required?

--- Also, wondering if you've seen these and if you haven't, then maybe you might be interested! (retro 51 is the brand).

Thanks for the comments, I had not see those pens.

Sorry, but I'm not at liberty to disclose the depths at this point. However, there are PLENTY of other aircraft down here for you to dive! For example, the P-38 (135') and F-4 (150') off Torrey Pines in San Diego. The P-38 is obviously pushing recreational and the F-4 is a bit beyond.

There is also a Corsair down near the border in 125' that Lora on the Marissa sometimes dives in combination with the Hogan which is a great combo.

If you want more details and/or pictures on any of them, I've got posts for all of them on my site.

- brett

Thanks for the comments, I had not see those pens.

Sorry, but I'm not at liberty to disclose the depths at this point. However, there are PLENTY of other aircraft down here for you to dive! For example, the P-38 (135') and F-4 (150') off Torrey Pines in San Diego. The P-38 is obviously pushing recreational and the F-4 is a bit beyond.

There is also a Corsair down near the border in 125' that Lora on the Marissa sometimes dives in combination with the Hogan which is a great combo.

If you want more details and/or pictures on any of them, I've got posts for all of them on my site.

- brett
I kind of figured it was one of those things where if I had to ask it was well out of recreational depths. Do you have a recommendation for a first wreck dive somewhere on the California coast? Thanks for the pictures and blog posts, they are neat.

I haven't really been down there much. Just got back from a couple of days with Lora on the Marissa though. We were a mixed group - some single, others doubles and rebreathers and a SM as well.

I think if I lived down there I'd probably attempt to visit the wrecks more often!

I kind of figured it was one of those things where if I had to ask it was well out of recreational depths. Do you have a recommendation for a first wreck dive somewhere on the California coast? Thanks for the pictures and blog posts, they are neat.

Someday we'll get ours up in NorCal!

You are very welcome.

If you are looking for a wreck in recreational limits, the iconic one is the Yukon in San Diego. There are a few others in that area as well that are in recreational depths.

- brett

Can you give us a (non-specific) range of depth? i.e., are the wrecks closest to 60, 90, 120, 150 feet?

I'm going to take a guess and say it's probably not less than 120 and more in the range of 150+.
Ok, that wasn't very specific. :p
but definitely out of single tank recreational realms.

I'm going to take a guess and say it's probably not less than 120 and more in the range of 150+.
Ok, that wasn't very specific. :p
but definitely out of single tank recreational realms.

That's what I guessed looking at the gearout in the photos, but inquiring minds want to know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom