Changes that Senior divers make?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The older I get, I have been forced to pay more initial attention to what the rest of my body is telling me vs what my brain is saying. At 75, my brain sometimes thinks I am in my late 40s or early 50s, but the rest of my body provides the reality check with "Uh, get a grip!" Fortunately my brain catches up very quickly so I don't do stupid stuff, at least in situations that put me in danger or pain. I try to avoid both.

Much wisdom here. Sadly, my mind still writes checks my body can no longer cash......

:)

We don't do livaboards these days and we usually only do 2 dives per day (occasionally 3). We look for dive operators that advertise "valet diving services" and we usually pass when the weather is pretty rough.

I should add that we rarely do shore dives these days and we are more willing to pay extra for comfort and safety. When we were younger we were always looking for the most dives for the best price.

I am 66 yrs young.
I have recently added stretching to my pre-dive routines. I do this because I noticed I was getting leg cramps on just about every dive while doing frog kicks.
I do a ton of cardio too.
I also have regular physicals with a doctor who understands diving stuff. I have had ear issues for the past couple years and I see a DAN ENT who has helped me tremendously!

I also dive for pleasure and I will not dive if it is a hassle (dive conditions, weather, morons).

here are some thoughts / suggestions....

physical fitness is more important than many realize. so the number one concern should be staying fit and flexible (strength and cardio), eating right, and getting an annual medical.

we rarely (if ever) hear people discuss any type of warm up before diving. depending on the particular dive site / conditions, getting suited up, carrying gear, the water entry, the dive itself, the exit, carrying gear back, and getting undressed, can add up to quite a physically demanding ordeal.

with every other "sport" or activity, we always see people warming up and stretching etc in order to prep the body and mind for what is coming next.

when is the last time you saw anyone at a dive site doing any of this ?

with aging and declining fitness, there can be a higher risk for cardiac / high blood pressure issues etc. these do not exactly mix well when under water. :)

as others have suggested above, making changes to your diving style and conditions, along with finding ways to just make things simpler and easier can also go a long way in preventing injuries and prolonging your enjoyment of the sport.

I am 66 yrs young.
I have recently added stretching to my pre-dive routines. I do this because I noticed I was getting leg cramps on just about every dive while doing frog kicks.
I do a ton of cardio too.
I also have regular physicals with a doctor who understands diving stuff. I have had ear issues for the past couple years and I see a DAN ENT who has helped me tremendously!

I also dive for pleasure and I will not dive if it is a hassle (dive conditions, weather, morons).

I haven't quite developed the discipline to stretch every time I dive, but I have added stretching due to cramps underwater. I also changed how I fin, what fins I wear, and how much force I put into any kick. The large slow finning techniques may even be faster than whatever I was doing previously.

If I ever need a quick burst of speed, my "casual pace" leaves me far more capable of doing that, because I haven't been using as much air, and legs are less likely to cramp.

Gravity has a say in everything I do now, once in the water I’m fine.
At 74 I have noticed that there has been a significant increase in gravity over the past 10 years and as a result I sold my double 95's and use my HP 100's more often than my 130's. I have recently picked up a couple of LP 50's and will be using those for side mount on some dives where walking is involved.

Just an idea:
Can a poll be added to this thread , "What age group are you" posting on this subject?
No names, no court-martial, kind of thing.
60-70, 70-80 etc.

Edit: 50-60, too young IMHO.

The important thing is that I got my bag from AARP and can get discounts now.

I believe a lot of them would NOT like being called a senior.
For just over 30 years, I worked in a career that had a Compulsory Retirement Age of 55. I retired at 54.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom