Changes that Senior divers make?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm about to turn 61. Until covid stopped my international diving I would take 5 - 7 dive trips a year. Most were 2 weeks and a few 3 weeks. I would do 3 or 4 dives a day for 11 - 14 days straight. But I would eat well and sleep well and not go out and party and get drunk.

Funny but if was the younger people that could not keep up with my diving. Too much partying and drinking for them.

I thought seniors are those 80 years old and above.

I thought seniors are those 80 years old and above.
Boy, is that a relief, still have a few years to go.:whistling:

Okay divers, I have a few observations about seniors (me) and diving. I have been continuously diving since I was 14 years old in 1959. I’ll let you do the math. :wink:

I am still diving, but I don’t go on dive vacations, have never been on a live-aboard or tourist dive boat, but have dived for the U.S. Air Force (a long time ago). Most of my diving is local, in the Clackamas River at High Rocks. I dive shallow, 23 feet max depth, but in sometimes high current. I dive to observe the aquatic life, and sometimes video it, and I pick up lead sinkers, fishing lures and “stuff” from the bottom too. Most dives are less than an hour, but I haul my single 72s or 80 cubic feet tanks, or twin 40s and 52s. I sometimes dive vintage with double hose regulators. I usually (but not always) dive a BCD that I invented, but sometimes dive without one, or with a Dacor Nautilus CVS unit.

Here’s some of my findings about aging.

—I can still do almost everything I have been doing over the years. My dive site is about 100 yards away from my parking spot, and I have to haul my stiff up and down to the river. So I consider these hauling sessions as part of my workout.

—While I can still do the things I used to do, I find that the recovery time has increased. So after a hard dive, or when I have been walking with my wife (I do 6+ miles with her), I need a nap of about half an hour to get back to normal.

—I usually dive solo, but because of my age I now take precautions I did not some years ago. I dive under a float with a dive flag, even though managing the line is a pain. High Rocks has lifeguards, and is a nice deep hole. I used to dive here, and drift downstream to a different site about 1/4 mile downstream. Now, I’m staying in the High Rocks hole, entering and exiting at about the same place.

—Or, I buddy dive. I have a couple of buddies who also dive vintage, and that makes it fun.

—If I have a thought that I shouldn’t dive, I don’t. If that comes into my head, I will scrap a dive.

I will continue diving until I can no longer do it. I will know when that happens. Here is a video I made of two of my dives.

SeaRat

I didn’t have an specific age to focus in on, so I used “senior” to be representative of whatever seemed appropriate to those responding.
Perhaps I should had asked before.
Over 65 in HK will receive certain benefit from the Gov. So I am using it as a yardstick when referred to age.
I am thinking to replace my travel bag with those with wheels because carrying 15kg on one shoulder and walk 1km is becoming uncomfortable over last few yrs.
I also have been using rental gear lately instead of bringing my own because of the weight.

The owner of a dive operation (a senior) recently told me:

"I’m an 80-80-80 diver now. If it’s not 80 water temp, 80 air temp, and 80’ visibility I just don’t go."

The owner of a dive operation (a senior) recently told me:

"I’m an 80-80-80 diver now. If it’s not 80 water temp, 80 air temp, and 80’ visibility I just don’t go."
If I used those criterion, I would have to stop diving. Friday I canoed and snorkeled in the Tualatin River out of Cook Park. Visibility was 3 feet (1 meter), water temperature probably about 72 degrees, air temperature close to 80. I was looking at the mussel beds in this section of the river.

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom