Changes that Senior divers make?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Physical fitness dictate everything.
But definitely no more 5 dives a day for me for quite a while. Have to take it easy.
@Centrals Are you kidding...... cutting back to 5 dives per day max!! That’s still a bunch. What was your max? Were, are you a dive professional?

I dumped the steel 120 I bought when first certified at age 51. Too heavy if a longish walk to the water.
I'm 67 now. There are many shore sites in my area and I've been to most of them. I have gradually eliminated
one here & there that may have a walk longer than I'd now like. But more often I've cut out climbing up & down nasty rocks to get to the beach. Also I avoid some places at low tide where entries are over slippery "slime-covered" rocks.
Haven't been South to the US since 2019 due to Covid, but in the NY area I have eliminated a couple due to long walks and carrying stuff in a dolly.

I still dive weekly from May-Oct. and bi-weekly the rest of the year in my 7 mil farmer john wetsuit, but it is a hassle in the cold (only 1 dive for 20 minutes per day). In a couple of years I think I'll eliminate most of that, except for one once in a while with ideal weather (+10C / 50F, sunny and no wind-- still got only maybe +4/39F water).

It's a gradually "downsizing" process, but if my health continues to be OK I see no reason I can't continue to dive at least at the easiest entry places. I would like to do more warm water diving though-- getting the equipment on & off has been and continues to be usually the hardest part of the day. And getting harder.
I continue my daily exercises (about 30 minutes), since most of the time my diving consists of just poking around looking for shells. I don't cover massive amounts of real estate like in my 50s.

Lower back spasms since age 26 (1976).

Initial certification in 1986.

Competitive distance runner from 1985 to 2008.

Sciatica in left leg 2008.

Transitioned from 3mm to 5mm wet suit 2010 (+/-).

Moved to trim weights on tank band (from all on weight belt) 2012 (+/-).

Added Finclip apparatus 2018.

All I have to suggest is that you make whatever adjustments you need to make to stay comfortable.

Don't force anything that will compromise issues you might have. If you have to hand your rig up to an attendant versus climbing the ladder with it, make the people you are paying accommodate your conditions.

Finally, age is an artificial barrier. I am 71, not going to stop diving until they pry my regulator from my cold, dead mouth.

Fewer pissing contests and “hey, hold my beer” moments, one would hope; though I am a few years away from this category . . .

@Centrals Are you kidding...... cutting back to 5 dives per day max!! That’s still a bunch. What was your max? Were, are you a dive professional?
"But definitely no more 5 dives a day" that was my exact words.
3 dive a day is the max and night dive is history.

Max was 5 dives a day and I am always a "paying customer".

Three years ago, DAN's Alert Diver magazine had an article, the title of which said it was providing "guidelines" for senior divers. The author talked generically about the problems of aging and then provided his guidelines. I was interested because he gave enough clues about his age to tell me that we were at most a few months apart in age. Going from memory, I recall him saying that in deference to his age, he did not dive deeper than 80 feet nor longer than 40 minutes.

I read the article after a day of diving, and I sent in a letter to the editor, which was printed in the next edition. Again going from memory, I said that my dive that day was to a maximum depth of 276 feet for a total time of 2 hours. I wondered what would have happened if I had submitted an article and given those limits as guidelines for senior divers.

DAN's response was that we all have different personal limits, and we need to plan our dives within our own personal limits. In other words, there are no guidelines other then those you choose for yourself.

What is the definition of "senior"? Over 60, 65 or 70?
Any diving agency or dive related org offered any "guide line" for them?
OP was asking for "personal opinion" or " personal observation" on adjustment or not made by senior divers.

Senior is the key word here and it does not cover ALL ages.

What is the definition of "senior"? Over 60, 65 or 70?
Any diving agency or dive related org offered any "guide line" for them?
OP was asking for "personal opinion" or " personal observation" on adjustment or not made by senior divers.

Senior is the key word here and it does not cover ALL ages.
I didn’t have an specific age to focus in on, so I used “senior” to be representative of whatever seemed appropriate to those responding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom