Just in case anyone wants to dive backmount independent doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

re: The video...

Why would manifolded doubles be not available or difficult to get? Maybe I know how to shop around, but they're not hard to get, nor that expensive. DGX has a very affordable option for the valves if anyone's interested. DGX Gears Premium Dual-Outlet Long Neck Manifold with Isolator I suppose I get if you wanted to frequently swap between single & double dives, it might make a little sense, but you can do that easily with the modular valves.

There's no need to mount it "backwards." I mean, I've dove single with the tank backwards and it's not a big deal (for open-water), I just don't know why you would intentionally do that.

If you're diving in a cave or wreck (as he mentioned in the video), why would you have a system that he seems to describe as "I can't afford doubles?" But also have two complete sets of regulators, and have gone through all the appropriate training for cave or wreck diving?

He's also diving with a hose that's just barely too short (despite his description, about why it's not too short).

Why would manifolded doubles be not available or difficult to get?

BITD one might travel to a remote location and have a need to dive doubles. As such, there used to be a back mount for travel doubles which allowed one dive independent back mount doubles. It filled a niche as one was not going to travel with bands and a manifold.

Dive Rite Independent Doubles Adaptor - Complete

Fast forward today and one could say just travel with a side mount BCD and the needed cylinder rigging. Probably the way to go. But then that requires another BCD.

BITD one might travel to a remote location and have a need to dive doubles. As such, there used to be a back mount for travel doubles which allowed one dive independent back mount doubles. It filled a niche as one was not going to travel with bands and a manifold.

Dive Rite Independent Doubles Adaptor - Complete

Fast forward today and one could say just travel with a side mount BCD and the needed cylinder rigging. Probably the way to go. But then that requires another BCD.
Good point. His video certainly didn't sell the idea that way, but sometimes good ideas can come out of bad ideas. For travel, it might be impractical to find doubles, or travel with the necessary gear.

+100 for sidemount. Sidemount is another area where it's impractical to put in a half-investment. Getting the equipment without training is a bad-time & worse if you're trying to figure out side-mount on vacation. By the time you pay for & go through training, it makes sense to also buy the equipment, otherwise, what was the training for.

However, once you have the side-mount equipment, it's amazingly lightweight and compact for travel.

Speaking as someone who has never dove independent doubles, I am having a hard time understanding specifically why this guy is being attacked. The turned around tank and too short hose and back up inflator equipped with a second inflator hose, all seem kinda strange to me, but those look to be relatively benign - or at least easy to understand aspects Surely there are numerous, significant and glaring issues that I am ignorant about.

What is the big deal with wearing a giant pony bottle on your back?

Sidemount is another area where it's impractical to put in a half-investment. Getting the equipment without training is a bad-time & worse if you're trying to figure out side-mount on vacation. By the time you pay for & go through training, it makes sense to also buy the equipment, otherwise, what was the training for.

Had someone on recent vacation trip who was learning side mount. Fortunately, they were not in our group. I think by the third day they got a BCD from the boat and put the side mount away. Not sure the issue as I tried to avoid them on the dive deck :)

Had someone on recent vacation trip who was learning side mount. Fortunately, they were not in our group. I think by the third day they got a BCD from the boat and put the side mount away. Not sure the issue as I tried to avoid them on the dive deck :)
I'm just getting started with sidemount, and absolutely would not want to side-mount on vacation, with my current skill level. I'll be diving a standard backmount configuration this weekend, because I'll be on my friends boat and don't want to hold things up. However, right after it's back to practicing backmount.

Back
Top Bottom