Does everyone really need an SPG? (w/transmitter)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IThe main reason I have an SPG( located on my left side, on a 22" HP hose, with a clip and attached to my BC D ring. The clip is attached to the SPG hose with a large O ring doubled over slid through the clip ring and slid over the SPG hose.
I do exactly the same thing in recreational diving. SPG is easy to see/read, the O-ring will easily break away if needed (and therefore periodcially needs to be replaced).
I've not experienced a transmitter failure per se but, I have experienced an intermittent signal loss a couple of times inside wrecks.
DiveClimbRide:
Guages have lower accuracy towards the bottom of the scale. The computer is probably correct.
I have intermittent signal loss, usually at lower pressures (~700psi), with my transmitter/computer unit. I have had 'failure to sync' experiences on several occassions. I consider my brass and glass SPG to be more reliable. Yes, a digital device is probably more precise than an analog unit. But, also remember that there is a mechanical / analog transducer, between the cylinder gas and the digital board, that converts pressure to a digital signal, and that unit is not necessarily any more reliable, or accurate, than a Bourdon tube.

I love the convenience of wireless air integration. All I have to do is rotate my wrist to read my computer display. I do not consider either my analog pressure gauge or my transmitter/computer unit to be absoltuely fail safe. Personally, I am more comfortable with the reliability of the SPG.

Of course it matters. Divers have had OOA situations with gauges reading 30 or 40 bar.
You are NOT saying every spg is NOT accurate!!
So all the divers who are using spg are risking their lives! LOL.
I have not came across any rental equipment using anything other than spg in all the places that I had been diving!
Perhaps you have seen it everywhere in SE Asia! Could you name the operators please?

Not sure anyone’s said this…. No gauges are accurate. You’re buying cheap tat that’s uncalibrated and may not be linear.

Fill a tank and measure the contents with different makes of gauges and you’ll get loads of different answers.

Digital gauges are not accurate either; they fool you into thinking they are, but the are not. This is a "forever" problem with all digital devices, voltmeters, pressure gauges, etc. Just because Mr Spock says there’s 3.14159 seconds left doesn’t mean he’s right.

Why anyone would bother with and spend money on a transmitter air gauge is beyond my understanding. A hose connected SPG is relatively foolproof, inexpensive, and secure. Do people get these transmitted devices because they are equipment junkies? One less hose is silly.

Why anyone would bother with and spend money on a transmitter air gauge is beyond my understanding. A hose connected SPG is relatively foolproof, inexpensive, and secure. Do people get these transmitted devices because they are equipment junkies? One less hose is silly.
I like seeing my pressure when I glance at my wrist to see my time or depth. I suppose I could have a separate mechanical depth gauge, so I could look at one device for time and another for depth and yet another for pressure. Would that be better?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom