At what point should I get diver insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

• Does anyone secure the DAN info to their BCD in case of an accident? If yes, where/how do you usually secure it?

Dan Tag

They used to be a rectangular plastic tag, but looks like they've undated them since we got ours decade or so ago.

Dan Tag

They used to be a rectangular plastic tag, but looks like they've undated them since we got ours decade or so ago.
Their tags are now round and metal.

I haven’t read my primary policy in awhile but back in the day it only covered me to my deepest certification. Back in the day, that was 130'.

So, the first time I dropped into the Great Blue Hole, I was at 165' before grabbing control and rising accordingly.

What if something had happened to me on that dive? (I didn't have a computer in those days but whatever)

My primary wouldn't have covered me but DAN would have. Further, DAN guarantees payment to the hospital facility, whereas, primary is still messing about trying to decide if they're even liable.

I travel alone, if I'm bent inside out or stroked from gas embolism, who's going to offer up my credit card?

My dive op will have my DAN insurance info and card too, if necessary.

On day boats, I keep it in my mask case. On liveaboards, I've already had to fill out a couple of pages of info containing that info.

But back to me being certified to 130' . . .will the primary argue that I'm only certified to 100', ergo they can't and won't help for an injury in the Great Blue Hole.

Something for divers to think about when considering whether or not to get DAN.

A good bit of experience dealing with (including doing work for) insurance companies.
Maybe not valid experience? That is not how it works. Your policy is a contract with the insurance company. It is well defined (but maybe not understandable by the purchaser) and unchangable.

The insurance company may decide to alter their offering for all new clients. The insurance company may even decide to stop selling a product tomorrow. None of these affect your existing policy.

At the end of your contract (normally yearly renewable) your next contract may have different terms.

You bought what you bought. Insurance companies are not allowed to go back in time and change things...

You bought what you bought. Insurance companies are not allowed to go back in time and change things...
To clarify, I did not say they could go back in time and change things, but there are ways they can change things going forward. From a quick Google search, here's a report where United Health just tried to do something like that in June -- change policy less than a month from announcement: https://www.thedenverchannel.com/ne...-er-visit-policy-that-goes-into-effect-july-1 And to my point, I have United Health and did not receive an actual letter or email giving notice of this proposed change -- they just announced it and luckily enough people saw the announcement to raise a stink about it. I didn't hear about it until I ran a search tonight.

To clarify, I did not say they could go back in time and change things, but there are ways they can change things going forward. From a quick Google search, here's a report where United Health just tried to do something like that in June -- change policy less than a month from announcement: https://www.thedenverchannel.com/ne...-er-visit-policy-that-goes-into-effect-july-1 And to my point, I have United Health and did not receive an actual letter or email giving notice of this proposed change -- they just announced it and luckily enough people saw the announcement to raise a stink about it. I didn't hear about it until I ran a search tonight.
Awesome cherry pick. Seems that people showing up for emergency treatment with non emergency conditions are getting pissed at not being re-imbursed for wasting emergency staff resources?

They do not have coverage for what they were doing. Seems the insurance company was dumb enough to pay for this in the past. They are simply trying to correct their mistake and honour the terms of their contract. Or do I misunderstand?

Awesome cherry pick. Seems that people showing up for emergency treatment with non emergency conditions are getting pissed at not being re-imbursed for wasting emergency staff resources?

They do not have coverage for what they were doing. Seems the insurance company was dumb enough to pay for this in the past. They are simply trying to correct their mistake and honour the terms of their contract. Or do I misunderstand?
Like I said, I just learned about this tonight, and I don't have the history behind it. I'm against wasting resources too, but knowing this particular insurer pretty well and seeing some of the claims that they have tried to deny, I'm not inclined to assume that they were acting honorably. In any event, it is just one example that insurance companies will modify policies going forward with little or no actual notice to individuals.

Careful, you are bringing a knife to a gun fight. You are using a media report found on Google to argue with a professional in the business. Reminds me of those coffee mugs you can buy:
71PA0NHLJNL._AC_UL320_.jpg

I do not know why this is a question at all.

DAN is dive coverage by a company that knows diving, the dangers and the treatments for these dangers.

I have the full package from Dan Asia, cost around the same as 10 or 12 dives from my local dive shop. Since I dive often, it works out around the $1US per dive.

For that I get an expert on the phone anytime I need. I get a dive medical expert advising local, non dive expert doctors if I need.

All for about what I paid for a nice dive light.

I’m pretty new to diving and the max we’ve gone is around 50ft. (But on average, we do 30ft - 40ft)

should I get diver insurance yet? It seems the most likely accident I could get right now is drowning, which is treatable in most hospitals?
Near drowning might be treatable, drowning means dead.get insurance. Go to 50’ on first dive do a surface interval that was too short, go back in and now develop decompression illness.

Back
Top Bottom