USD Calypso J Rebuild

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Art Challacombe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Recently, I obtained a non working Calypso J first stage from the mid 1960s. In my first attempt to repair it, I cleaned all metal parts in vinegar water and changed out all o-rings. I also removed and flipped the teflon seat. I cleaned and replaced all rubber parts on the J portion, but kept the poppet seat as I can’t find a replacement.

Testing went well. IP locked up at 135psi with 2250 in the 72 tank and the reserve actually works at 300psi in the tank.

So, I connect it to a 1085 second stage and I’m ready to take it on a test dive. I put on a spg to the regulator as I don’t feel comfortable relying on a 55 year old reserve seat even though it works on the surface. I turned on the tank and checked the spg. To my surprise it reads 0 psi. The regulator is breathing fine, but the spg is just slowly inching up the scale. I put a known good spg on, same thing. I turn the tank off and the gauge still has air in hose even after purging the second stage.

Needless to say, I’m not going to dive with this regulator and used a spare instead. Upon getting it back on the bench, I checked the HP port. As you all know, this port has a teeny tiny hole. I used a jewelers loop and noticed some white looking stuff along the hole. I’m thinking the channel may be blocked and that’s why I’m not getting HP air at the port. It looks like an doubtful fix, so I go for broke and put the disassembled body in boiling vinegar water for 30 minutes. I then blew out the body cavities with compressed air. I reassembled the first stage and tested it with a spg crossing my fingers. Happy, happy, joy, joy, the spg reads at the correct tank pressure. All in all, a great learning experience.

Hi GjC, thanks for the kind words. No, there was no HP bushing in that era of the Calypso regulator. The first stage on the one I rebuilt is from around 1966 - 1969. After the recall, I believe USD started installing the bushings in the Calypso VI which came out in the late 70’s or early 80’s after the recall. I have a Calypso III that I purchased in 1972 that doesn’t have the bushing and four Caypso IV’s that do have the bushings. Maybe there are some others here that can shed some more information on recall or the history of the early Calypso series.

The recall occurred after 1 instance of a regulator failing that shut off all gas supply (notice attached}. Any that were serviced after the recall should have the bushing installed. Use without the bushing at your own risk.

VHD had bushings but are out of stock right now Store | Vintage Double Hose

Attachments

• Calypso Recall Information.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 255
The Calypso regulator I rebuilt is model 1051(1048-00 first stage). The recall notice is for the 1083 and 1084 models. Now, I’ve rebuilt all of them over the years and the functional design as well as the seats are almost identical. I see no reason why the earlier models were excluded from the recall, but my training is from many decades ago. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this.

I thought the recall applied to all the Calypso III and the early IV and all the different Calypso J. They may have had a limit on how old of a regulator they consider servicing under the voluntary recall, but that is just a guess.

I happen to have diagrams and some information that may be handy.

calypso recall_Page_1.jpg

Pages from Calypso III  Pages III   from Aqua-Lung Repair Manual-3.jpg

Pages from Calypso J older  Pages from Aqua-Lung Repair Manual.jpg

Pages from Calypso J  Pages from Aqua-Lung Repair Manual-2.jpg

51279348888_b506e44f27_h.jpg

Calypso IV rev-2_Page_2.jpg

Calypso IV rev-2_Page_3.jpg

Calypso IV rev-2_Page_1.jpg

Calypso bushing mark.JPG

Happy Independence Day everyone.

A study of the parts of the Calypso J’s from the sixties to the seventies and early eighties shows some important differences such as the pistons, springs and caps. Even the seats have subtle differences. I have tried interchanging the parts and only the seats worked out for all models. As an example, here is a photo of the springs and caps from 1051calypso J and 1071 Calypso III. The 1083 and 1084’s from the eighties have additional changes.

Attachments

• 293E862F-AAD3-40CA-812A-306827F03386.jpeg
    293E862F-AAD3-40CA-812A-306827F03386.jpeg
    27.2 KB · Views: 92
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom