Oceanic VT3 linking issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have tried two batteries but I can’t seem to find out if there is any indication of it being on. I have a Suunto dive computer but I don’t think the transmitters are compatable

They are not.

I have tried two batteries but I can’t seem to find out if there is any indication of it being on. I have a Suunto dive computer but I don’t think the transmitters are compatable
You are correct. Suunto and the Oceanic transmitters are not the same technology.
Put your transmitter on a regulator, attach the reg to a tank, and pressurize it. The transmitter ONLY turns on when it sees pressure.
RTFM. https://www.huishoutdoors.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/12-2705-r021.pdf
page 152

Okay i connected to a pressurized tank and it still shows 000 flashing PSI. I checked the setup and the serial number is the same. when I try to hold the S button it says not available. I am just curious if i am doing anything wrong.

You may just have a bad transmitter. I bought a used VT3 off ebay a couple years after they came out, and the transmitter I got with it only lasted a dozen dives or so before it started dropping connection frequently, or sticking on the same PSI reading for several minutes at a time during a dive. I sent the transmitter back to Oceanic for service and they replaced it because it was faulty.

If you can find someone else with a known good transmitter and try to connect your computer to that, you'll know for sure.

I messaged the guy on eBay so hopefully I will hear something back from him. I got it for $275, luckily I have ebay buyer protection which is nice about ebay.

Okay i connected to a pressurized tank and it still shows 000 flashing PSI. I checked the setup and the serial number is the same. when I try to hold the S button it says not available. I am just curious if i am doing anything wrong.
How close was the DC to the transmitter and how long did you try to let them connect? My wife and I use Oceanic DCs and sometimes I will need to put mine next to the transmitter for a few seconds for it to get a reading.

If it simply will not connect, I recommend, as others ave, trying to connect it to another transmitter. Oceanic, Shearwater, Aqualung, and Sherwood all use the same transmitter so you shouldn't have much trouble finding someone with a compatible transmitter to try pairing it with.

But one thing I need to ask, and I hope you don't take offense at me asking, but you did open the tank valve when you put the rig on the tank and therefore pressurizing the transmitter didn't you?

I messaged the guy on eBay so hopefully I will hear something back from him. I got it for $275, luckily I have ebay buyer protection which is nice about ebay.

1) take a few breaths or purge the regulator to ensure the transmitter picks up a pressure change. If this doesn’t work, see below
2) sometimes you need to short out the transmitter to get it to reset. There’s instructions elsewhere on SB about this. Paperclip between pins generally does the trick but do so at your own risk.

I checked the voltage of all the batteries. As I was replacing the batteries I thought to myself what could have it not be making a connection. I inspected everything very thoroughly and came to the conclusion that the spring on the transmitter was compressed for such a long time it was not making a connection at all. I stretched it out and it works great now!

now the only real issue I have is the back light. It is very dim and I’m not sure if it is replaceable or I can do anything about it.
587321BA-56EC-45FC-A905-D48F14DCCF57.jpeg

Congratulations! Good thinking on the battery spring.

I think you will have to learn to live with the dim backlight or look for a computer with a brighter screen.

Back
Top Bottom