Apeks XL4 vs XL4+ vs XTX50?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MWright254

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi pals!

I'm curious about everyones experiences with these regs and the main differences between them.
The things I'm most interested in are cold water use (I'm a California diver) but also compact and easy to travel with for all my warm water adventures, recreational limit Nitrox use, and general versatility.

I plan on getting deep and wreck certified soon but don't have any tech diving plans so I don't need anything too high speed. If knowing the rest of my setup is at all helpful I use the SP Hydros with an Atomic SS1 and Suunto EON pod/ computer. My current reg is an old US Divers. It functions, but it's bulky and I'd like to upgrade.

Thanks!

I haven't dove or worked on the XL4 series but I do like the XTX50 and they are very common here in Atlantic Ocean water that is 35-37F over the winter months. They are not very heavy either and you can change to left or right hand hose routing. I would pair them wit a DST1st stage personally.

I dive the XL4+ here in the Canadian prairies in water temps as low as 6c (43f). Only one freeze-up so far but that was my own fault for not following cold water procedure... having said that I would hesitate to take them any colder.

You could look at an Atomic M/or ST1 with sealed first stage. ScubaPro Mk19 with G260 second stage as well. I should have mentioned here in the NE cold most are using the XTX50 or the XTX200

I’ve used my XTX50/DST down to 38F ice diving in February. And a number of times down to 40F. Pretty much bulletproof.

I dive the XL4+ here in the Canadian prairies in water temps as low as 6c (43f). Only one freeze-up so far but that was my own fault for not following cold water procedure... having said that I would hesitate to take them any colder.
What's the trick to getting the face plate off? When you press on the top, what is that doing? I can't figure out how the face plate locks.

What's the trick to getting the face plate off? When you press on the top, what is that doing? I can't figure out how the face plate locks.

Doable by hand, 1/8th turn CCW. The purge cover comes off with it. I use a small adjustable pin spanner to remove the inner locking ring.

For cold water you really can't go wrong with an XTX50 with either a DST or DS4 first stage. The DST with 5th port is probably the most versatile with great routing for doubles, singles, side mount or stage.

We all have different ideas!
NO experience on XL4 but there are plenty of old posts about it.
The three most common Apeks regs: FSR, DS4 and DST(with turret).
FSR is the flagship(?), 5th port compatible, 2 HP ports and 4 LP ports. The only unique feature is the replaceable valve seat(ARCAP). The HP port is slightly angled down so less stress on the hose.
DS4 has only 1 HP port and 4 LP port
DST has turret where all the 4 LP ports are situated and 2 HP ports on the main body, also 5th port compatible.

Turret is NOT my cup of tea, I use the DST as deco reg because of it.
If money is not an issue, I will go for FSR otherwise DS4.
I have all these three 1st stages.

NO need to get XTX200 2nd stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom