Is this normal for scuba tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noah Norman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I don't know if this is from the manufacturing process, or if it's a form of corrosion. It is a small 1L tank that I got on bang good (DCCMS DS-810 8pcs/set 1L Portable Diving Scuba Tank Divers Spare Oxygen Equipment Leisure Diving Mini Oxygen Tank). I used it in the water after pumping it up with a high-pressure bike tire-like pump. It worked fine in the water, the air was normal, and the regulator was good. It lasted 20 mins pumped to 200 bar.

I opened it up to make sure no water leaked in it and I noticed the black on the side of the tank and put a borescope in to see what it was. It's a very thin layer of, idk what. It can be scraped off and it puts little particles in the tank. My dad recommended putting airsoft bbs and some alcohol in there to wash everything it by shaking it. He said it could just be from when they made the cylinder, but I just want to make sure it's not corrosion or anything.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    494.9 KB · Views: 250
I don't know if this is from the manufacturing process, or if it's a form of corrosion. It is a small 1L tank that I got on bang good (DCCMS DS-810 8pcs/set 1L Portable Diving Scuba Tank Divers Spare Oxygen Equipment Leisure Diving Mini Oxygen Tank). I used it in the water after pumping it up with a high-pressure bike tire-like pump. It worked fine in the water, the air was normal, and the regulator was good. It lasted 20 mins pumped to 200 bar.

I opened it up to make sure no water leaked in it and I noticed the black on the side of the tank and put a borescope in to see what it was. It's a very thin layer of, idk what. It can be scraped off and it puts little particles in the tank. My dad recommended putting airsoft bbs and some alcohol in there to wash everything it by shaking it. He said it could just be from when they made the cylinder, but I just want to make sure it's not corrosion or anything.

Noah,

As has already been posted, this is not, repeat, not scuba equipment!

Not DOT/CTC certified cylinder, the first/second stages are very likely non-serviceable.

There are well established procedures for cleaning/drying scuba tanks. Under no circumstances should any flammable liquid such as alcohol be used.

What appears to be ''forming scale'' could dislodge and interfere with/obstruct/completely block the flow of breathing gas.

Also, the supplied hand pump is not providing clean/filtered breathing gas.

Won't tell you what you should or should not be doing, but I wouldn't use it. Nor would I use any equipment, diving or otherwise, originating from offshore Chinese sellers, ALIExpress/BangGood others. Similar products have also started showing up on E-Bay, also originating offshore.

If you're going to dive, get certified, and dive safe, with safe gear.

Rose

No. Just no. To all of it.

Without certification, you'll not know what you don't know and that could make you find yourself seriously injured or dead. These types of devices are dangerous. And I find it hard to believe that you actually pumped the thing up to 200 bar (3000 psi) with that manual bicycle style pump regardless of it being advertised as being high pressure.

Please don't use this thing for diving. As stated above, get certified. Then you'll see what we are saying. Your life depends on it.

I would not want those unknown particles/material going inside my lungs while under pressure.

Other than the diving aspect, realize that at 3000 psi, it`s like having a hand grenade next to you. Even a failure at 500 psi can kill you. Thats why scuba tanks have to be inspected both visually and a hydrostatic every certain amount of years..

Like the others said,, NO NO NO!!!

Noah,

As has already been posted, this is not, repeat, not scuba equipment!

Not DOT/CTC certified cylinder, the first/second stages are very likely non-serviceable.

There are well established procedures for cleaning/drying scuba tanks. Under no circumstances should any flammable liquid such as alcohol be used.

What appears to be ''forming scale'' could dislodge and interfere with/obstruct/completely block the flow of breathing gas.

Also, the supplied hand pump is not providing clean/filtered breathing gas.

Won't tell you what you should or should not be doing, but I wouldn't use it. Nor would I use any equipment, diving or otherwise, originating from offshore Chinese sellers, ALIExpress/BangGood others. Similar products have also started showing up on E-Bay, also originating offshore.

If you're going to dive, get certified, and dive safe, with safe gear.

Rose
I am certified, I wanted a little thing that I can swim around at 10ft, and I can easily pack in the car or take on a plane. What would you recommend for cleaning away "forming scale"? As far as I know, the blue segment on the pump is the filter, I also only fill it while inside so there isn't that much moisture or particles in the air anyways.

I am certified, I wanted a little thing that I can swim around at 10ft, and I can easily pack in the car or take on a plane. What would you recommend for cleaning away "forming scale"? As far as I know, the blue segment on the pump is the filter, I also only fill it while inside so there isn't that much moisture or particles in the air anyways.
Can you show a picture of the markings stamped into the neck of the tank?

And I find it hard to believe that you actually pumped the thing up to 200 bar (3000 psi) with that manual bicycle style pump regardless of it being advertised as being high pressure.

Well, it does show determination. I have a high pressure hand pump for pressurizing a pneumatic spear gun, it's a pita, but it can be done.

Buy a real pony bottle and use your reg set, even if you have to buy a low end used reg set from your LDS, you won't pay a lot more than you did yor junk. Next time drop by before the purchase.

Back
Top Bottom