Halcyon Eclipse worth the money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

'Wanted to let fellow divers know that DGX now has a more reasonably priced knock-off, of the Harpa loop. (And a brilliant description of how it works!)

DGX S/S Loop Adjustment Ring

upload_2021-6-28_16-9-59.png

I have owned a variety of singles and doubles wings over the years including Halcyon, Dive Rite, DSS, OMS, Apex, and Oxycheq. They all pretty much let you control your bouyancy while diving. All of them have mostly the same features in the same locations. The difference is this: when I literally wore out my Halcyon Eclipse, I sent it in for repair and they sent me a new one. I do think that there are funtional differences in backplates and the H plate fits me like it was made ofr me. I especially like the turned out lower corners (you can now find these on other brands but you have to look for them). I think that if you can afford Halcyon gear, it is worth it.

Hi Tony,

It looks like you have many options from the good folks here at Scubaboard on your quest for a new BP/W. Nevertheless, I will give my opinion (like most do here)—Halcyon is the best backplate and wing on the market full stop. I am not sure where so much hate and discontent about it comes from (similar to Shearwater); maybe it's jealousy, it's envy—I honestly don't know. But, with that said, there is a reason you pay a premium for a premium product. Their warranty alone should give you enough warm fuzzies to buy it. However, it all comes down to simple, well-made solutions to everyday diving problems. E.g., the little H's on the straps can be used to measure your correct size every time you replace the webbing, or it gets adjusted in travel; all you have to do is remember the number (mine is 8). There are no plastic doohickies, extra D-rings, or any other nonsense that would impede streamlining your kit or get broken if a tank lands on it. Furthermore, if something does break, the folks at Halcyon will nine times out of ten replace it.

When it comes to your shoulder problem, the fix is simple; the shoulder straps should not be tight. You should be able to don and doff the equipment quickly—your waist and crotch strap, on the other hand, should be secured smartly and create stability for the rig. If you haven't yet had an instructor show you this method, I'd be happy to hop on a Zoom call with you.

No matter what anyone else says on here, your purchase is entirely up to you. With that said, I have never been angry or disappointed with a Halcyon purchase—if anything—I wish I went with the Blue H instead of some equipment bought in their stead, hence why my mantra in dive equipment is Buy once, cry once.

Cheers.

I am not sure where so much hate and discontent about it comes from

One simple thing, price.

You forgot to add they are like 90 percent made in USA. Some small pieces are manufactured overseas but most of even the materials used are made in the USA, the wings themselves made in FL.

One simple thing, price.

You forgot to add they are like 90 percent made in USA. Some small pieces are manufactured overseas but most of even the materials used are made in the USA, the wings themselves made in FL.

I understand the hesitation with price, however—you get what you pay for plus a warranty. That's the value. Made with Freedom Units is also a plus, lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom