¿ Insight on Delta Airlines return to Cozumel ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damian G. Finch

Registered
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has inside information or even solid speculation about the return of Delta Airlines to Cozumel?

I think that Delta hired Cozumeleños with airline experience to staff their Delta operation so I am hoping that information about re-hiring may have begun to circulate. Grasping at straws here...

Thanks!

I think that Delta hired Cozumeleños with airline experience to staff their Delta operation
International airlines generally employ very few locally. Their flights are mostly worked by contracted employees of a Mexican agency. They just change name tags for different airlines and fights. Delta pulled out of West Texas long ago, and there's been no hint here of a return. They might codeshare with a Mexican airline except that's been blocked by the Mexican aviation downgrade.

I’m trying to keep this thread alive, as I am keenly interested in Delta restarting their direct flights from Atlanta to Cozumel.

Does anyone know whom to contact at Delta to put a vote in for this route? Preferably a link, but I would be willing to call.

BTW I’ve looked, but maybe my googling isn’t as good as others. I’ve also called a friend that is a Delta pilot, and she had not heard of this route restarting.

I just wouldn't hold your breath on this one, though airlines focusing on leisure due to less business travel does help your case.

This isn't the first time an Atlanta--Cozumel route was dropped. I used to fly through Atlanta and use a Delta codeshare operated by Aeromexico for the ATL-CZM leg. Got dropped after 9/11. Still remember getting sent to CUN Thanksgiving weekend right after 9/11 since the CZM flight was cancelled. I spent almost 1 1/2 hours in the immigration line before I even got in the queue in the main room with immigration agents.

Just speculating but the seasonal traffic is normally soft from mid to late July till mid November. There seemed to be a post Covid pop in May thru early June but that seems to be rolling off, I just can't see it happening until the high season if it happens

Very discouraging... I thought American Airlines might be an alternative but reading the horror stories about delays and cancellations leaves me super sad. I miss my Cozumel...

The bag drag and the testing to return are keeping me from visiting again.

Very discouraging... I thought American Airlines might be an alternative but reading the horror stories about delays and cancellations leaves me super sad. I miss my Cozumel...
It's temporary. When there's money to be made they will rise to the occasion, I am sure. United just put in a huge order for new planes.

Depending on where you're coming from, there are planes. American got me all excited recently with some changes they tried on me, but I called and fixed that easily enough. For what the airlines went thru this past year, they're coming along.

If you're fully vaxxed, you should be okay on the testing; if you're not vaxxed, you can do your part and fix that. No one wants to ride those ferries for now, even tho it's doable, but American has flights most days after the August pause that surprised me so starting at $392 RT - much cheaper than I pay here, and United has them every day I think starting at $407

United just put in a huge order for new planes.
That's true, but those are flexible orders for possible deliveries over several years. Estimates are at 40 for 2022, 138 for 2023, but they're optimistic.

Are you worried about testing positive? Because the return test is cheap, easy, and quick.

Back
Top Bottom