Hair Care

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was on facebook and saw a video a woman created, demonstrating how she deals with 'dive hair'. Basically, she slathered creme rinse all over her hair and then put it up in a bun. Someone made a comment about 'whatever goes on your hair goes in the ocean' and she took offense, saying she's an esthetician and had checked out all the ingredients to make sure they are reef safe.

I have used nothing but Stream2Sea on my hair for several years (when diving) - to protect the reef, even though I'm just one in a million people jumping in the water - but even using the amount necessary for my thin hair it can get expensive. The product the gal in the video was using is the Love Beauty & Planet - you can get them at Walmart and Target. I think it's about $7 for a 13.5 oz bottle. I grabbed my bottle that I use at home, and checked out the ingredients to see if they are all ok - and it appears they are. I even cross checked a couple of ingredients to see if I could discover if they were masquerading under different names. If any of you have reason to believe this information is incorrect please let me know.

I will continue to use Stream2Sea for sunscreen - and I really do wish that all dive ops followed Rainbow Reef's example, and just have it available on the boats. I cringe when I see the Coppertone and other brands come out (but who knows, maybe they're reef friendly now too?).

AND ... to add to the hair care part ... I think the first key to protecting your hair is to saturate it with fresh water so no salt water can penetrate it. Add creme rinse for extra protection and to put more 'good stuff' in it, and you're golden. And of course, with creme rinse on it's easier to slick it back and make sure all those stray hairs stay in place while you're getting your hair band, scap, cap, do-rag or whatever in place.

Happy diving!!!

I was intrigued after reading your post, and so I ordered some Stream2Sea leave-in conditioner. I've only tried it so far after showering, but I really like it. Tomorrow morning is the first time I'll try it before diving. But so far, so good!

I was intrigued after reading your post, and so I ordered some Stream2Sea leave-in conditioner. I've only tried it so far after showering, but I really like it. Tomorrow morning is the first time I'll try it before diving. But so far, so good!

I love Stream2Sea and will be purchasing more for my upcoming dive trip. going to look at their stick sunscreen for the face too

I love Stream2Sea and will be purchasing more for my upcoming dive trip. going to look at their stick sunscreen for the face too

Let me know how you like the stick sunscreen.

@Kimela and @Janie88 - our new EcoSticks are so fun! It's a new formula of non-nano titanium dioxide and non-nano EcoSafe Zinc Oxide - it rubs in more clear than our original formula, comes in several fun colors (like pink and blue - but those both will rub in clear as well), and the packaging is made from recycled milk jugs. Let us know if you have questions!

@Stream2Sea, do you have a video of how to use this one too? I'd love to see how well it rubs in. Thanks!

@Stream2Sea, do you have a video of how to use this one too? I'd love to see how well it rubs in. Thanks!
Hi! It's so new, we haven't had a chance to make an application video yet. But here is something I just threw together. Hope it works! Have not tried uploading a video to SB before.

Hi! It's so new, we haven't had a chance to make an application video yet. But here is something I just threw together. Hope it works! Have not tried uploading a video to SB before.

Wow, that rubs in easily!

I found, though, that even with my darker skin, if I rubbed the Face and Body Stream2Sea sunscreen in really well, it hardly even showed on my skin.
People with fair skin can rub it in a lot less for it to not show.

But I will definitely get the EcoStick. So quick!
Thanks for creating these awesome, eco-friendly products! :)

Wow, that rubs in easily!

I found, though, that even with my darker skin, if I rubbed the Face and Body Stream2Sea sunscreen in really well, it hardly even showed on my skin.
People with fair skin can rub it in a lot less for it to not show.

But I will definitely get the EcoStick. So quick!
Thanks for creating these awesome, eco-friendly products! :)
Thank YOU for helping us protect what you love!!

We have bulk size (32oz) bottles of our Leave-In Conditioner (along with all of our other products) and you can receive 10% off using coupon code SCUBABOARD. Plus we have free shipping for USA orders over $35.
Your website says you need to spend $50 to get free shipping, not $35.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom