Pockets mounted on Pony bottle? bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

View attachment 660100
I don't care what anyone says, but I love these when I need to carry extra gear. Under $50 and have a connection point in each pocket to bolt snap your items in.......

I agree with the *idea* (tech pocket shorts are outstanding), but not the execution of these. I used these for about 20 dives and wore holes in them. For me, not recommended. In undemanding environments they might last longer, but I’d recommend a more durable pair.

Unfortunately, the ones I currently use (50+ dives and still like new) are the DGX tech shorts, for which I paid a similar $50 for — but they don’t have them anymore! I’d easily pay $100 for something comparable: they are the right tool for the job.

ETA: Looks like DGX now carries a pair (thanks @flymolo), and sure enough they’re $100... :( From the photos, they seem to be the identical shorts I have — just with the Highland name and double the price.

There's a discount if you buy 2x at a time.

DGX Gears Glue-On Thigh Pocket

The upside is they're always on & can choose the position. This is good for sidemount, where you don't want pockets on the sides, where they'd interfere with sidemount tanks. The downside is you have to modify your wetsuit & can't be moved between wetsuits.

Thanks for the perspective.

What kind of connection hardware do you use? Is it quick link or single/double-ended bolt snap?

As for the tech shorts, did look into them, it seems almost all on the market right now are $200 shorts that's just plainly taking advantage of us divers.
(Eg this one from forth element at $200... Fourth Element Technical Shorts )
Dive Gear Express has a couple for quite a bit less. Bottom of page:
Pockets

Deep6 still has 3 and 7 mil wetsuits on closeout that come with the best pockets I've ever seen already installed and they are rotated down a bit for sidemount. Get them while they last. There's never been a better deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom