cheap chinese video light review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gotcha. I already measured the outside diameter as 16mm, and am going to optimistically eyeball the threading as 1.00. I've contacted the actual manufacturer of that switch I posted in the amazon link, and they're gonna send me two samples for testing. Gonna advertise the crap outta it if they work.

If you'll note the wiring on that switch, it's wound up quite a bit. My plan is to have it twisted to counter the screw direction a few times. I think that's how these are supposed to be fitted, but wish me luck.

Also, as a note, I confirmed with a sales rep that the stainless steel switches are 316L.
Interestingly those switches are available here in Indonesia. Keep us posted on how this project goes. If the switch is the only weak point, we could have some reliable cheap lights once modded.

Hi,

Any advice between:

Nitescuba 6000lumens for 160eur
185.23US $ 22% OFF|Nitescuba NSV60 LED Diving Glare Video Light 6000 Lumen Wide Angle Continuous Lighting High CRI=90 5000k Underwater Phorography|Photographic Lighting| - AliExpress

Scubalamp 4000 lumens for 230eur (I actually had one that was good but I flooded it (probably my fault, didn't properly close the battery))
268.0US $ |SUPE Scubalamp RD95 4000 Lumens Underwater Searching Light Scuba Diving Light Photography Spot Light Dimming SOS beam angle 15|LED Underwater Lights| - AliExpress

Archon 6000 lumens for 214 eur (I like that one because I can put standard batteries in it)
257.86US $ 21% OFF|D36V II warm white diving photograph light HD diving video light Underwater 100m diving flashlight dive troch diving fill lights|LED Flashlights| - AliExpress

Any advice? Brands/models to avoid? Better options for the same price?

I'm gonna use it as a dive light & focus light, and buy a cheap 30eur/1000lumens backup light from archon

Thanks

I'm gonna use it as a dive light & focus light, and buy a cheap 30eur/1000lumens backup light from archon

The Nitescuba and Archon you linked are video lights with a wide beam - this is less than ideal for use as a general purpose light or a focus light. While they have a lot of power, because the beam is so wide, it's quite diffuse, so it has less effective range than a much weaker light with a narrow beam. It's difficult to impossible to signal with, you have to be really careful as to where you point it, and in silty water, it generates a lot of backscatter - I have a D36V, and when using it as a general-purpose light, I often have to stretch the hand that is holding it all the way out sideways to prevent the backscatter from obscuring everything.
Scubalamp does not list the beam angle for the RD95, but judging by its reflector design, it shouldn't be too wide, but it's still quite bulky and probably an overkill for a focus light - remember that focus lights are used when shooting macro, so you're shining it at some unfortunate critter from a few inches away - you'll burn out its retinas, if not cook it outright.
FWIW, I'm happy with an Archon D15VP as a focus light. It's fairly small (uses a single 18650 cell for power), has wide, spot and red settings, and provides sufficient illumination for the camera to focus without being a portable sun. I also have an Archon V10S for a general purpose dive light, and I just got an Inon LF800-N for blackwater diving - I saw one in use, and it's amazing how far it penetrates the water despite the modest power rating.

So you're not happy with the D36V? Or it's still a good video light for when there's good visibility?

It's a good enough video light, but I don't shoot video, so I end up not using it much. I bought a pair when I was just starting out because strobes were too expensive... this, in hindsight, was a mistake, although it was also a learning experience; buying cheap is more expensive because it ends up being buying twice.

The Inon LF800-N is quite unique in that it has a fresnel lens in front of the LED in additional to the reflector behind it; this produces a very narrow and sharply defined beam. Blackwater dives tend to have a lot of plankton in the water, and this beam lets you spot interesting critters from a long way off without getting blinded by backscatter. However, I just got the package a few days ago, so I haven't yet had the chance to try it out myself - I don't know how good it is as a regular dive light. Given that no one else produces another light quite like it (Weefine/Kraken has an add-on lens for one of their lights that probably does something similar, but I haven't seen it in action) - probably not very.

That D11V has a constricting snoot - this is much cheaper than a lens, but cuts out most of the light's output rather than focusing it, so it's only good at very short distances.

Thanks for the reply. I think following your advice I will take two D15DVP, for 110eur each I can't really go wrong. The battery format is annoying but there are ways around it :)

Diving in Malta in a few weeks, I'll let you guys know how they perform (if they arrive on time !!)

20210624_212150.jpg
20210624_212212.jpg
20210624_212224.jpg

This is my primary it's an excellent lite.
Has 2pc 32650 or 26650 or 18650.
It last forever and has 3 modes high mid, low, came with a Goodman handle. But I hate the ridgid ones... I always make an ABS with bungee.

Doesn't seem to be available anymore.
I can't find anything to come close to replace it.

Thanks for the reply. I think following your advice I will take two D15DVP, for 110eur each I can't really go wrong. The battery format is annoying but there are ways around it :)

Diving in Malta in a few weeks, I'll let you guys know how they perform (if they arrive on time !!)

Just to make myself perfectly clear - I am not using my D15VP as primary illumination. It is only there to help my camera focus when shooting supermacro or macro in challenging conditions. The actual pictures are taken with a pair of strobes. I have tried doing photography with a pair of D36Vs and was not happy with the results.

Yep that's pretty clear. My final setup will be 2*Z330s, one D15VP as focus light on all dives / dive light at night, and the other one will be my backup for night dives.
In the meantime (because I'm struggling to find second hand strobes), I'll go without strobes and just using the D15VP - should be fine since I'm gonna dive in Malta, not much marine life to photograph anyways and I think wrecks look better without strobe (or only using dive lights).

I own a pair of the nitescuba DSV60s and they are great for video. I switch them down to the lowest setting when doing macro as a focus light. As previously said they are very wide angle so unless you are doing video would not use them. They also use an odd Archon battery pack so not easily replaced and a spare will run you almost 50% of the cost of the light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom