x deep dump valve options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the 155 sidemount dives that I have done, I may have used the inflator hose to dump gas no more than three times. I really don't go vertical much at all and when I do it isn't to ascend. When I go vertical it usually means I am diving rapidly or suddenly or looking at something where that position is required. I sometimes ascend upwards through an obstruction but never at a depth where the relatively short ascent can't be managed by my lung capacity. The inflator hose is quite inconvenient for me. Different styles of diving I suppose.

In the 155 sidemount dives that I have done, I may have used the inflator hose to dump gas no more than three times. I really don't go vertical much at all and when I do it isn't to ascend. When I go vertical it usually means I am diving rapidly or suddenly or looking at something where that position is required. I sometimes ascend upwards through an obstruction but never at a depth where the relatively short ascent can't be managed by my lung capacity. The inflator hose is quite inconvenient for me. Different styles of diving I suppose.
i suppose if you have a sidemount rig with inflator down low rather than on the shoulder it would make a difference fro dumping -but im not referring fro vertical or head down positions, im talking about horizontal in trim , ive just found it quicker and easier to just lift up and release rather than try to find the dump valve - i have a jacket BCD a divrite nomad sidemount and ccr and don't use the dump valve on any of them (95% of my diving is in a dry suit.)

ive just realised while reading this i dont use my dump valve on any of the three rigs i have - i only use the inflator hose, Why do people need them ?

On the xDeep, the dump valve is rarely needed. That's because with the inflator hose positioned under the chin as is common with most xDeep divers, it's in a higher point with horizontal trim than the air in the bladder and the inflator value works to dump air and is easily accessible. The only reason one would need to use the dump valve is if they were in a downward sloping position and wanted to remove air such as overinflation on descent. For most divers those types of situations are rare.

Can you paste a photo of how the wing sits on your body? A general dry-glove tip in both SM and in BM is to attempt to circle the OPV flange itself between your thumb and pointer finger and then close the circle, ensnaring the string.

Happy to report that, after some out-of-water work, I can now reach the valve just fine. I was approaching the arm movement all wrong. I was trying to go back, over, and down (like if you were to place your palm on the small of your back), but moving my arm out, around, and down (like I'm making just one arm of a snow angel) catches it nicely. Not sure if that made sense, but regardless, I can reach the valve now.

I also shed some layers because things have warmed up a bit here, which probably helped a little.

What are people using for tubing around their longer pull-cords?

On the xDeep, the dump valve is rarely needed. That's because with the inflator hose positioned under the chin as is common with most xDeep divers, it's in a higher point with horizontal trim than the air in the bladder and the inflator value works to dump air and is easily accessible. The only reason one would need to use the dump valve is if they were in a downward sloping position and wanted to remove air such as overinflation on descent. For most divers those types of situations are rare.

I found that I can easily dump air through the inflator hose up to when the bladder is about 20% or 30% full. After that, I might need to reach for the dump valve. However, I have no issues reaching the dump valve, so I never needed to mod my xDeep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom