How many dives does it take for one to be competent?

How many dives does it take to be competent?

• 100+

Votes: 76 61.8%
  • 200+

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • 300+

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • 400+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 500+

Votes: 13 10.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It took me one dive and each extra dive I challenge myself further, but always nervous

it is more about frequency where repetition builds memory and instincts. All build comfort which can lead to being a good/competent diver.

That being said, the base competency happens when you get good instruction. You need a good foundation. Diving with crappy skills taught to you just sustains bad diving...

I don't think a number of dives is representative of efficiency and/or effectiveness.
There's many variables, some people are naturals in the water and others never truly "get it".

Like any other activity you encounter people with the equivalent of 1 year experience 20 times, no progress from the basics, and other that go about like they've been diving 2 lifetimes, even if some of their original gear still have the price tag.

Competent in buoyancy? Competent in navigation or deep diving? Sorry, it is unclear what competency you are asking.

How long it takes doesn’t matter. Just keep plugging away. I’m a prime example of that. I was a scaredy cat at first, did Intro to cave over the winter, and just started my tech deco class this past weekend. Took five years in the Midwest. Did 100 dives my first year.

it is more about frequency where repetition builds memory and instincts. All build comfort which can lead to being a good/competent diver.

That being said, the base competency happens when you get good instruction. You need a good foundation. Diving with crappy skills taught to you just sustains bad diving...

Yes, this. Diving a lot is an absolute necessity. Don’t expect much if you’re only diving a week or two a year.

cave-diving, and even with 1000+ dives you won't be a competent cave-diver.

I disagree that it takes 1000 cave dives to be competent as a cave diver.

What is the number? There is no number of dives to quantify competency as a diver OR a cave diver.

I'm pushing 6000 dives and still managed to roll out of my boat in March into 37° water with my drysuit zipper open about 2". So there's that.

On the upside, I defied the laws of physics and levitated back in to my boat faster than I fell in to the water. :dork2:

Just be aware of the "Dunning - Kruger Effect". There may come a time (fairly early) when when you know just enough to be dangerous. I'm not saying it will happen to you, I am only saying that it happens often enough that some body has spotted it and has named it.

dunning-kruger-3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom