Small dive locker ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great work man you're a genius

and you paint first too, when are you popping over to my joint

Another weekend and another few hours making progress. Saturday was out diving, but Sunday at home on the tools.

Under bench storage for 4x dive tubs. Check.
Benchtop for gear maintenance & repair. Check.
Wash tub for camera, regs, torches etc. Check.
Wall cupboards for tools and odds and ends. Check.
Light mounted under the centre cupboard. Next.
Gap fill around the corners. Soon.
Power. Soon.
Paint and hang new door. Soon.
Slap of paint on the raw timber. Soon.
Tank rank. Soon.
Wall hooks to hang stuff on. As needed.
Pictures to cover up the wall patch ups because I couldn't be bothered paint matching. Soon.
Move everything in. Can't wait.
IMG_20210627_164157.jpg

A little off-topic: I notice what looks like 2x4 lumber that is common in the US. Is that a pre-metric convention still in use or is it really a similar metric size?

As a reference to our all-metric readers: Raw lumber in the US is rough-cut off the log to 2" x 4" and a 1/4" is milled off in all sides for a finished size of 1.5x3.5" or 38.1x88.9mm.

As a reference to our all-metric readers: Raw lumber in the US is rough-cut off the log to 2" x 4" and a 1/4" is milled off in all sides for a finished size of 1.5x3.5" or 38.1x88.9mm.
Sort of. Once upon a time, lumber was sold unfaced (rough sawn) and often somewhat green at the actual named dimension with local yards or the customer left to handle seasoning and finishing. Actual final dimensions were thus all over the place. As the lumber industry became less local and more processing was done at the mill, a need for standards emerged. The end result is what we have today, with standard sizes well under the nominal size, but no direct connection between that nominal size and rough milled sizes.

A thorough history of this in the form of "History of Yard Lumber Size Standards" (Forest Products Laboratory, 1964) is attached for your entertainment and enlightenment. Herbert Hoover features prominently.

Attachments

• miscpub_6409.pdf
    646.5 KB · Views: 74
A little off-topic: I notice what looks like 2x4 lumber that is common in the US. Is that a pre-metric convention still in use or is it really a similar metric size?

The timber (in Oz we call it timber ) I'm using is 70x35mm. Framing timber is usually 90x35, which is close to your 2x4. In construction it'll be referred to in its correct size (90x45, 90x35, 70x45, 70x35 are the common ones). In conversation everyone knows what being hit over the head with a 4-by-2 (or 2-by-4) means!

I'm using 70x35 partially because 90x45 is overkill for this bench, and partially because there seems to be a timer shortage here at the moment, and the 90x45 racks at the timer yard were literally empty!

I also have a little used outside toilet and shower room with sink, tiled floor with 2 drains,with plenty of ventilation [near the boat, which is handy] .
I use it as my drying room, wash everything outside and hang everything except regulators in there.
You have given me a few ideas to improve my set up, nothing like your great setup though.
Off to the hardware store, school holidays for 2 weeks and I avoid taking the boat out, too many F... wits.

Edit: Living near the beach it is handy having an outside shower and loo.

I use it as my drying room, wash everything outside and hang everything except regulators in there.

If I had another room the same size next to it, I'd fully tile it, put a big stainless trough in there, hanging racks and a dehumidifier. Hose down / dump all the big gear, then hang it all up, turn the dehumidifier on in winter, and leave it overnight.

If I had another room the same size next to it, I'd fully tile it, put a big stainless trough in there, hanging racks and a dehumidifier. Hose down / dump all the big gear, then hang it all up, turn the dehumidifier on in winter, and leave it overnight.
Oh the joys of living in the Sunshine State, it is now 18.9c at 11am and a SE breeze to dry your gear in our [so called] winter.
I have lived and dived in your state so I am aware of conditions, the diving is great [if not a little cool] , the weather is abysmal .
Sorry, I am gloating and will stop now.:poke:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom