Swivel Ball Joints For 2nd Stage -- Worth It?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several years ago, I had a Sherwood Maximus Reg. It had a (factory installed) swivel on the second stage and the hose was routed under my right arm. It was an incredibly comfortable reg.

I still dive mine.

I was a proponent for swivels, I've had them for a few years. Last weekend I finally had one blow apart on me. It was topside so not a big deal. I don't think I'll keep using them.

I would say, if you do use them, maybe rebuild them every couple years and use loctite. I know the blowout is my fault for not rebuilding them, but it is another failure point that maybe I don't need... they are comfortable though.

I refused to use them for decades, for just the reason @rob.mwpropane cited above.
But with OmniSwivel's model 2 and its locking hex now mounted at right angles to the swivel shaft, which fits into a land in the shaft, you have a virtual guarantee that the swivel will not separate.
I'm sold!
Screenshot_20200904-124848_Chrome.jpg

I refused to use them for decades, for just the reason @rob.mwpropane cited above.
But with OmniSwivel's model 2 and its locking hex now mounted at right angles to the swivel shaft, which fits into a land in the shaft, you have a virtual guarantee that the swivel will not separate.
I'm sold!
View attachment 666225

Mine are not made by Omiswivel, but they do have the locking hex screw in the side. I was assured at the time of purchase that they were a newer model "2.0" and didn't have the issues like before.

It's also on me though. I should have paid more attention to having some type of service interval. I did not.

How do you like your Maximus?

I'm still very pleased with my purchase 25+ years ago. It's a bit heavy for my travels and the 2nd stage cover is quite large but it's endurance is not disputable. I have no idea if the newer versions are as good in these regards.

Omniswivels fall apart and leak. Have seen a couple of them simply fall apart -- one of them was on some unattended kit that just suddenly for no reason started to hiss loudly, the other on a dive boat.

You don't need them in any case. If you do need an elbow, use a fixed one which are reliable.

YMMV as with everyone here. I personally would keep well away from them as a failure could be the end of a dive or worse.

When contemplating this stuff
Look at it through the eyes of the person born without sight that can't see that they're without something

"Worth it" is totally subjective. They are more comfortable, especially if you use stiffer rubber hoses. The super flexible hoses on the market help eliminate both torque and push makeing a swivel less of a need.

That being said, it is another failure point just like fixed angle adapters. (Mine had tiny orings and Allen head screws) I took my Omni swivel copy off of my reg before a trip to Cuba because I was not sure what would be available in the event of a failure. You can always just remove it and run without....if you have a wrench or pair of pliers. I didn't want to run the risk so it wasn't worth it for me in Cuba. That trip was where the "Dive Shop In A box" was born and it's basically a save a dive kit on steroids since I was diving with 16 other divers. I tried to simplify everything on my rig to avoid any potential issues, but I took the tools out to avoid problems with customs.

Local diving or any other diving when I can have the "Dive Shop In A Box" the risk of a missed dive is not so great. After Cuba I went with a fixed angle adapter and have not replaced the swivel. Haven't really missed it but I use Miflex hoses too.

So, "worth it" to me, maybe...maybe not...it depends on your hose type, length, and preferred routing along with the risk of missing a dive due to a failure. The answers to those questions are completely up to you.

Good luck, see you on the wrecks,
Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom