tank valve compatibility around the world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it correct to assume that all tank valves can be turned into DIN-compat by removing the inserts in the middle? Have you ever seen any tank that cannot accept a DIN reg? (If you have, please share your country/region, if possible)

Thanks.

Edit: I'm asking because I've got a DIN reg and I'm wondering if I should bring a set of hex keys or the DIN-to-yoke adapter when travelling. I'd much prefer the former since the yoke setup is bulky
When I started out there were only yoke valves, I only switched when I bought 300bar cylinders.
When I travel I carry both yoke and DIN attachments. It’s simple to remove one and replace with the other.

I'm a bit slow today - but I still don't understand why yoke tank valves are any more resistant to abuses? (In fact, I would imagine it's more maintenance because it's got the o-ring in it, which presumably needs replacing every once in a while)
They're self-alerting with a loud bang to wake everyone up to the need for yet another O-ring replacement.

The thing I find most interesting in the Yoke v DIN debate is that the technical dive community all use DIN, yet this hasn't filtered down to the recreational community.

Useful to be reminded to bring adapters when visiting American-influenced locations.

I just bought a yoke first stage for traveling.

They're self-alerting with a loud bang to wake everyone up to the need for yet another O-ring replacement.

The thing I find most interesting in the Yoke v DIN debate is that the technical dive community all use DIN, yet this hasn't filtered down to the recreational community.

Useful to be reminded to bring adapters when visiting American-influenced locations.

it is trickling down and that's where most of the new tanks being bought have convertible valves in this country. Either way though I don't think you'll see the caribbean shops change all of theirs over to DIN because of how annoying it is as a fitting for the shops. I certainly much prefer yoke when filling.

I have my Yoke to Din adapters in my kit ready to take with me at all times, starting next week when I get into Sidemount.

Back
Top Bottom