DIR- Generic Drysuit Balanced Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its not really plausible to end up with a "fully flooded drysuit" that loses all buoyancy... The thicker the suit and more lead it takes to sink the more air it traps

In a single hp100 I have about 38lbs of lead and BP combined. 21 of that is 5lb SS plate, 6lb weighted STA, and the 10lbs on the cam bands. 17lbs in my weight belt.

You need to be able to swim the full cylinders up in case of wing failure at the start of the dive. I have really no problem doing this without ditching the belt at all. Let's say my suit is flooding (also at my heaviest with a full tank), I will use the wing and again swim up. In both cases I will probably ditch the lead at the surface to maintain positive buoyancy, but I dont need to drop it to get back to the surface.

I use a 40lb evolve single tank wing from Halcyon. Not sure where the "30lb max" comes from, the 40lb single of mine is 18yrs old, still made, and still mostly common in cold water GUE-F courses

@rjack321 When you dive doubles how do you build out your weight?

@rjack321 When you dive doubles how do you build out your weight?
double 100s in salt:
5lb SS plate
10lb V weight
12lb ditchable belt

I wear a DUI CF200 with a weezle extreme+ undergarment, I am floaty af

double 100s in salt:
5lb SS plate
10lb V weight
12lb ditchable belt

Out of curiosity, what wing do you use?

double 100s in salt:
5lb SS plate
10lb V weight
12lb ditchable belt

I could probably get away with a 10lb belt but I hate skimping on suit gas if I actually run the tanks down to 4-500psi

PS in fresh I remove 8lbs from the belt

Out of curiosity, what wing do you use?
In double 100s a 55lb explorer (same if I was in anything bigger, but I broke up all my other doubles)

I have a 38lb explorer for double 80s in MX diving but havent used that in forever sadly

double 100s in salt:
5lb SS plate
10lb V weight
12lb ditchable belt

and than they say GUE CCR is heavy :)
No "heavier" type of cylinders to handle so much extra weight?

Matan.

and than they say GUE CCR is heavy :)
No "heavier" type of cylinders to handle so much extra weight?

Matan.
There are the Faber "hp" 100s which are like your 300bar cylinders. -17lbs full

Nobody uses them for doubles they are insane (and dont actually hold more gas)

Considering that I have tried said conundrum in practice... Only with a 40Lbs wing, steel double 12ls, 3 stages, 4celcius water and about an hours worth of decompression left, I can tell you... it is fully possible to maintain proper buoyancy with up to my nipples in cold water. That I had to open my suit, let the water out AND de-rig before entering the boat with water up to my belly in my suit... not so fun. Not reccomended, but completely doable. I do not have ditchable weights. (Unless you count my heater-cannister... I will not ditch that...)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom