Can I move things around on my 1st stage or will I die?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeltaWardog

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have what may be a stupid question with an obvious answer, but it won't be my last and my ego fades more and more every year so here goes.

Is it ok to change where stuff is plugged into my 1st stage myself, if I am an untrained monkey but know how to use a wrench on things that aren't life support equipment? I've never touched any of it to date, but last time I had it in to do an adjustment on what was plugged in where, I watched the LDS guy do exactly what I'd do - wrench it off, allen key the cap off another spot, and screw the damn thing into the new slot. While chatting with me and barely looking at his work while doing it. This is not a dig on him, this man was doing scuba work when dinosaurs still pooped in the ocean.

Do I need to have a tech do this kind of thing (moving hoses and transmitters around) or it is safe to do myself? Or am I going to drown on my next dive because I touched my gear with my own tools? :)

Yes I know the difference between a HP and LP port, what thing goes in what type, and they are all clearly marked on my 1st stage.

I'm not trying to be dense or cheap, just wondering if I'm being overly cautious here. If the answer is "don't touch it, idiot" then I will happily continue to pay my LDS for all my 1st stage port swapping needs.

Do that stuff yourself you'll be fine.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to learn to fully service/rebuild/tune regs.

Moving hoses around is no big deal. There are torque settings that many ignore and just tighten enough that when you turn on the gas they don't leak.

Don't pretend you are the Hulk and you should be good. I own such a torque wrench but I'm a tool guy.

I have what may be a stupid question with an obvious answer, but it won't be my last and my ego fades more and more every year so here goes.

Is it ok to change where stuff is plugged into my 1st stage myself, if I am an untrained monkey but know how to use a wrench on things that aren't life support equipment? I've never touched any of it to date, but last time I had it in to do an adjustment on what was plugged in where, I watched the LDS guy do exactly what I'd do - wrench it off, allen key the cap off another spot, and screw the damn thing into the new slot. While chatting with me and barely looking at his work while doing it. This is not a dig on him, this man was doing scuba work when dinosaurs still pooped in the ocean.

Do I need to have a tech do this kind of thing (moving hoses and transmitters around) or it is safe to do myself? Or am I going to drown on my next dive because I touched my gear with my own tools? :)

Yes I know the difference between a HP and LP port, what thing goes in what type, and they are all clearly marked on my 1st stage.

I'm not trying to be dense or cheap, just wondering if I'm being overly cautious here. If the answer is "don't touch it, idiot" then I will happily continue to pay my LDS for all my 1st stage port swapping needs.

You can definitely do it yourself, especially if you understand HP/LP and have the right tools (hex/allen keys and wrenches). You don't need to make things super tight either probably 30 in/lbs for hoses; for example a DIN connector on a Apeks regulator if 70 in/lbs torque.

Your LDS charges you for hose-swapping? Find another shop. It’s mind-numbingly simple.

No he did not! I could have worded that better. He was moving a transmitter to a better spot. But I pay the man when he does real work for me and I wanted to be clear I'm not trying to wiggle out of that. He is a great shop owner and has given me free replacement parts for stuff I lost (oral inflator cap). No complaints.

I just like to do my own stuff where I can and when it's not dangerous. And I like to get expert advice because it keeps from doing stupid(er) things.

The thing you have to watch is when you’re taking the second stage off the hose. Using one wrench can end up damaging things. Two thin adjustable wrenches, one on second stage and one on hose, does the trick.

“Can I move things around on my 1st stage or will I die?”

You win — that is the greatest thread title that I have ever seen!

Anywhere.

Straightly on 1st stage only.
The bore size of HP and LP port is different so there is no mix up.
Transmitter goes to HP port.
Some 1st stage has only 1 HP port so it is not possible to swap around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom