So I made a Toddy Style instructional video for liveaboards...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice find. I did look at this when researching side mounts. Recent version of TS is far far away from what have been shown as 'TS inspired' on the video. I'd like to say - as someone who tried to butcher the system after initial dives and then came back to its original form - that I found that every little detail in its philosophy matters. I think the price for the original TS jacket which is like $1200 is well worth it.

One thing that sold me on TS - besides the symmetrical cylinders - was the integrated weights management for travel. TS offers ways of weights and one of these is a 'flight version' which allows for use of standard weights as seen on a page from the manual.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-18 at 8.31.08.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-06-18 at 8.31.08.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 73
not officially. It is used for some true cave exploration but is outside of their normal curriculum.

Thanks @tbone1004, I did my rec SM through PADI but my dive buddy was TDI (tech) although we did the same drills less spare tanks and his trim and buoyancy was way better (I had less than 50 dives he had 300 plus). I'm considering Tech side mount through TDI for skill improvement but have no intention of going into tech diving. I've not had a chance to do SM on a boat as my wreck course has been delayed by Covid restrictions.

Thanks @tbone1004, I did my rec SM through PADI but my dive buddy was TDI (tech) although we did the same drills less spare tanks and his trim and buoyancy was way better (I had less than 50 dives he had 300 plus). I'm considering Tech side mount through TDI for skill improvement but have no intention of going into tech diving. I've not had a chance to do SM on a boat as my wreck course has been delayed by Covid restrictions.

The TDI tech SM class focuses on tech skills - like deco bottle handling and such.

In your case, I’d set up a day or two with a good SM instructor. No cards involved, just skill improvement.

there is almost no uniformity amongst sidemount instructors. Most agencies let you self-certify as a sidemount instructor, so people will go dive sidemount for a weekend and proclaim themselves as sidemount instructors. Doesn't make you qualified to do it, but that's how PADI and other agencies decided to do it. It also doesn't make a tech sidemount course valid as that from most agencies is self-certified as well so there is no oversight.

What @Marie13 said tracks. You need to find a real sidemount instructor and get a day or two of real instruction.

I'd avoid sidemount on a boat unless you're on a RHIB. It's not a great configuration for boat diving.

@tbone1004

Some of us have no choice in the SM boat diving thing. Are you supposed to give up diving if you can’t get doubles up the ladder due to knee issues? Nope. I will take my 50s on some charters for recreational dives before taking my 85s on the big lake.

@tbone1004

Some of us have no choice in the SM boat diving thing. Are you supposed to give up diving if you can’t get doubles up the ladder due to knee issues? Nope. I will take my 50s on some charters for recreational dives before taking my 85s on the big lake.

using it as a tool to continue diving due to injury is one thing but that does not make it a superior configuration. It is in no way superior for normal boat diving and for wreck penetration. A lot of people seek it out thinking that it is easier than doubles because they don't want to haul doubles up the ladder, very different discussion than someone who can't due to an injury.

The TDI tech SM class focuses on tech skills - like deco bottle handling and such.

In your case, I’d set up a day or two with a good SM instructor. No cards involved, just skill improvement.

I have two very good instructors available to me locally. One of them was the one who recommended I do Tech SM without ITT. I've been working on a lot of skills since my solo course last year because diving alone lets me do what I like :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom