The Great Helium Hunt of 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got home from getting my tanks. 4 x LP85 filled to 20/20 (approximately) to 3000psi. 1 x AL40 with 100% filled to 2200psi, and a 6cft suit bottle air fill and a VIP on the suit bottle, although the shop just charged me $2 for the tank O ring and slapped the VIP sticker on. Even though I have a whip, I wanted to ensure I could get the suit bottle filled at a shop if needed.

DF2CE5D9-2234-4A1E-9CA6-3AB78EDC4EE9.jpeg
757AB07C-C866-46AB-BDDF-6D57A91C5556_1_201_a.jpeg

Just got home from getting my tanks. 4 x LP85 filled to 20/20 (approximately) to 3000psi. 1 x AL40 with 100% filled to 2200psi, and a 6cft suit bottle air fill and a VIP on the suit bottle, although the shop just charged me $2 for the tank O ring and slapped the VIP sticker on. Even though I have a whip, I wanted to ensure I could get the suit bottle filled at a shop if needed.

View attachment 666072 View attachment 666073

I understand you are in a tough spot, but that invoice infuriates me to my core and I could never get fills from that shop.

18.50 as a flat surface charge, .70 a cuft for O2, helium @ 4 FRACKING SIXTY. They even put their thumb on the scale when counting the helium cuft. Jesus...

I understand you are in a tough spot, but that invoice infuriates me to my core and I could never get fills from that shop.

18.50 as a flat surface charge, .70 a cuft for O2, helium @ 4 FRACKING SIXTY. They even put their thumb on the scale when counting the helium cuft. Jesus...

Honestly, you could have bought almost 2 Ts of helium for what they are charging.

The shop in Evanston charges $20 for Trimix labor. A friend in southern CA pays $1.05/cft for 100% O2.

Just discovered the shop by my office charges $0.33/cft for O2. Think I will get the O2 fills there from now on. That shop does charge $10 for custom nitrox mixes so I’d be paying that extra for 50%.

The Evanston shop’s prices. I’m not counting on that helium price being current.

E22C7A23-A699-4181-9AA6-7CE8314F9F9A.jpeg

Honestly, you could have bought almost 2 Ts of helium for what they are charging.

Ts of helium are going for more than $600 in the Chicago market. My instructor’s shop in WI charges $5/cft.

Jesus that sounds like highway robbery to me.

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 11.25.36 PM.png

No labor charges, because some idiot is doing the valve knob turning. Oh.... wait.... that idiot is me.

The prices in the Great Lakes area are totally different than FL. The demand for helium up here is much, much less.

The prices in the Great Lakes area are totally different than FL. The demand for helium up here is much, much less.

If I ever dove up there I would be bringing a trailer full of tanks.

I'm not sure how accurate the helium prices are in that previous clip, as I went to look at the other shop I get fills at. And here are their prices, and typically they are pretty close in price.
Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 11.29.03 PM.png

TBH I rarely look at my invoice, I just hand over my credit card and try to remember if I have enough ramen for the month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom