Does anyone ask to see your logbook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to fill out my certification info when renting gear, but that was in the 1980s. I went on a shop trip to Grand Cayman and they asked me to show the resort my log book because I only have my NAUI SCUBA DIVER and Nitrox certification, no AOW. That was the only time (and for my Assistant Instructor course circa 1983).

No one's ever looked at my book. That includes for courses, even DM course (of course they knew me at the shop). On some charters I was asked when my last dive was and of course needed to show a cert. card (again, only if they didn't know me).

Never been asked to show one, never been made to feel like anybody even cared. Boat ops sometimes try to get a sense of whether I have experience with similar conditions, or will at least be OK with the local conditions, which seems reasonable to me since they'll want to know who will likely need the most attention, help with weighting, etc. They have taken always me at my word.

C-cards are another story. Seems like every time I've been on a charter or rented gear, I had to at least produce the certification agency, level, and number for the paperwork. And once or twice to produce an actual card.

Like others, I've never been asked to produce a logbook, but am periodically asked to show a c-card.

Thanks everyone. PADI puts some emphasis on logbooks so I wondered if it had changed. It sounds more or less the same.

."PADI puts some emphasis on logbooks so I wondered if ....

PADI is trying to teach diving. Keeping some measure of records is a good learning tool.

...and to head off the ever-so-clever trolls, it isn’t about selling $1.79 worth of extra pages.

If more logging was done, we might escape the inane “what thickness wetsuit should I wear” questions, or, maybe not.

Thanks everyone. PADI puts some emphasis on logbooks so I wondered if it had changed. It sounds more or less the same.
I’ve never been asked for a logbook. When I started diving, I kept a logbook for a bit, but soon stopped. The paper logbooks were useless to me. Lost my original logbooks at some point, and just did not log for a long time. I just couldn’t imagine flipping through the book to recall a particular dive.

I didn’t resume again until I got a computer and started downloading to divelog software. That was useful to me. I’ve still never been asked to show it, but I have used the elogbook on several occasions. I can easily find statistics about dives, which has some benefit.

If they don't already know you well enough then Divers Den in Tobermory Ont will request to see your logbook/e-logs for Advanced OW dives they charter in the mornings.
"Morning dives are for Advanced cold water divers only. Dives including the Forest City, Arabia, or Dufferin Wall require a MINIMUM of 10 deep (100ft) cold (45F or less) dives in the last 18 months. Logbook required."

I wasn't asked for a logbook. But I had signed up for a week of dives months in advance and corresponded with them a bit.

2,013 dives, no one has ever asked to see my log, including PADI MSD back in 2005 and SDI Solo in 2013. I'm diving Malpelo next month, they require 50 dives and may want to see my log, we'll see.

What @Doc said. I suppose PADI still emphasizes it because it is still a good tool to help divers remember where they were, the conditions there, the gear they used, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom