INDONESIA - 2021 Cancellations Ahead, is your booking at risk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would consider the Thai quarantine for a holiday, but borders are closed for tourists without visa and the UK has a ban on non-work travel until mid-May at the moment.
Thanks to the NHS I will have both vaccine doses by end of May and I'll look into any changes in restrictions after that.

For the entire dive industry in Indonesia, this is a serious challenge. If you are a LOB or resort with limited capacity AND you have guests who have booked new reservations for 2022 or 2023 AND your destination is at near capacity for those two years, how do you take all those guests from delayed 2021 trips you have promised to accommodate in the next year (2022) and actually move them forward. So now the LOB or resorts have guests with vouchers valid for a year (say 2021 to 2022) but the LOBs and resorts are at or near full capacity. It's not rocket science. What do you do with your 2021 paid guests...?

OK, April 2020 trip that was initially moved to 2021 now booked for April 2023.

For the entire dive industry in Indonesia, this is a serious challenge. If you are a LOB or resort with limited capacity AND you have guests who have booked new reservations for 2022 or 2023 AND your destination is at near capacity for those two years, how do you take all those guests from delayed 2021 trips you have promised to accommodate in the next year (2022) and actually move them forward. So now the LOB or resorts have guests with vouchers valid for a year (say 2021 to 2022) but the LOBs and resorts are at or near full capacity. It's not rocket science. What do you do with your 2021 paid guests...?

The game of 'musical chairs' comes to mind.

The longer a boat/resort can keep a creditor at bay, the less likely the credit will be redeemed.

A credit with an expiration date and no dates available for you to travel - maybe not worth much?

For some divers - holding credits - there will not be seats.

Yup. Our options were take a 50% and 75% hit on stated refund policy back in early-ish 2020 or let them keep the money and hope they survive the pandemic and are there to redeem. So far it appears they are but who knows in 2023. Heck, the Giant Asteroid may come by then making this all moot.

I should edit, both of my bookings are small ops, one a family owned op that I know the owner, so I am willing to support. And I wold have no hard feelings if they had to close shop as I would feel horrible for them as people. The other one is a bit more high end, and is basically coat tailing

Let's say you are holding a credit from The Arenui - one of the top boats sailing Indo.

You booked Raja Ampat - a once-in-a-lifetime trip.

Your options for 2022?

05 Jul 2022,16 Jul 2022, KOMODO-ALOR

17 Jul 2022, 26 Jul 2022, ALOR

27 Jul 2022, 07 Aug 2022, KOMODO-ALOR

26 Nov 2022, 07 Dec 2022, RAJA AMPAT 11​

One trip to RA - Turkey Day week for USA folks.

2023? Check the schedule - full RA itinerary - three trips have slots. Good news - 2025 is wide open!

And, the op has had your money - long since spent - for several years. Yet you will be asked to pay the more - the current rack rate.

Attachments

• arenui schedule for 2022.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 85
Were I to look into my crystal ball, I would guess there may be a few ships that don't sail again and there may be some unhappy divers who may lose in the game of musical chairs. With less capacity than people wanting to travel, those from 2020-2021 and those "new" looking to book 2022 and 2023 as a first booking. And consider all the dive shops in Canada, the US, and the UK who have cancelled charters that have to be re-booked. It is a strange scenario for supply and demand economics.

Given that both money and time are valuable, but time is irreplaceable, I would write monetary losses as a sunk cost and move forward as such. I might hold a personal grudge against an operation that survives but is unwilling to refund my money in a credit form that is not acceptable for me, but that would be a personal emotional response and objectively not a great use for my energies.

Given that both money and time are valuable, but time is irreplaceable, I would write monetary losses as a sunk cost and move forward as such. I might hold a personal grudge against an operation that survives but is unwilling to refund my money in a credit form that is not acceptable for me, but that would be a personal emotional response and objectively not a great use for my energies.

My thoughts exactly. I treat that money like money I walk into Vegas with, it's not coming home with me.

I was supposed to have gone to Raja Ampat in March 2020. The liveaboard operator allowed me to defer the trip so was planning to head out in late Sept/early Oct but was recently informed today that the trip is officially cancelled given the worsening Covid situation in Indonesia (a month ago, I was already hesitant to make this trip). Fortunately, I am able to reschedule for a future TBD date.

It sounds pretty terrible and feel for the locals who have to go through this in Indonesia. In the states, we are very fortunate to have access to multiple vaccines that helps mitigate severity. Here's to moving on from Covid...hopefully we all can return to a reasonable normal, be able to live life more fully and for this community, dive again.

Prayers to all who has been impacted by this disease.

Back
Top Bottom