Shoreline map project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ian Popple

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hi everyone. I thought this might be of interest to the group.

We've been working on mapping the reefs and wrecks in NW Florida for a while now and this project branched from the guidebook we just created for the region. We designed 8 of these beach signs for shore-accessible dive and snorkel sites in the Destin-Fort Walton Beach area. Hopefully these maps and the accompanying handheld waterproof cards will help people explore these artificial reefs and learn about the species that can be found there.

This site, which you may be familiar with already, is located just a short swim off Destin Beach, east of Henderson Beach State Park. It consists of 68 artificial reef modules arranged in a series of wavy lines. Great place to spot juv snapper, triggerfish and grouper and even the occasional octopus, stingray and sea turtle. Depths range from 8 to 23 feet.

1 - 20210611_081257 - 1.jpg 2 -20210611_082211 - 1.jpg 3 - 20210611_082701 - 1.jpg 5 - 20210611_083504 - 1.jpg
4 - 20210611_082711 - 1.jpg

Nice. I just moved to NW Florida (Perdido Key) and am getting back into diving after a long hiatus. I'm going to have to drive down this weekend and check out this sign and the area around it.

This looks great! What are the other sites where y'all are putting up signs?

I haven't dived around there since 2017. I know where the Crab Trap is and wonder if those artificial reefs were there back then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom