VHF for urgencies/emergencies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lairdb

Contributor
Reaction score
Had an odd thought recently, thought I'd surface it for comment.

There are any number of good threads that discuss PLBs, AISes (e.g. Nautilus Lifeline), alternatives such as InReach, etc.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/plbs-can-save-your-life.576134
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/personal-locator-beacon.607606
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/garmin-inreach-mini.608249
...and more.

At some point in these discussions, someone will lament that Nautilus removed the voice VHF radio from their original product.

My mind wandered the other direction: a conventional VHF radio, even one without AIS/GPS. Like PLBs, no-one makes a dive-able VHF, so a container would be needed -- but it's a thought. (Even without AIS/GPS, at least you've got "i'm alive; pls look for my smb/dye/strobe! thx!")

Then, a tangent search reminded me of everyone's favorite cheap handheld: Baofeng.

(Important note: although it's relatively straightforward to put the marine frequencies into a Baofeng, they are not certified for those bands. It is likely very illegal, anywhere on Earth, to transmit on those bands using a Baofeng. (Still, as many on other forums point out, in an emergency, the regulations can go fold themselves.))

Baofeng older models can be found as low as $25; the models advertised as having IP67 water resistance as low as $35. At those prices, it's getting close to disposable: pop it into a ziploc and shove it in a pouch and see if it survives 3ATM.

(Yes, there's a strong "don't cheap out on life safety" argument. Let's briefly set that aside. (If a decent PLB that didn't require a cannister existed, this probably wouldn't be a topic at all.))

So:
- Utility of a VHF (not PLB/AIS?)
- "disposable" radio thoughts?

Reactions: OTF
The ability to hail your own boat / others in the area, or talk to the coast guard directly seems really good. Although VHF is going to have quite limited range from a short antenna basically at water level.

Falling overboard at night I'd MUCH rather have a vhf to call the ship than a PLB which takes much more time to initiate a complicated rescue.

I really do miss my VHF nautilus lifeline which was the best of all worlds and didn't need a housing.

Correct, it's not legal to use amateur radio baofeng HTs on marine frequencies.

Plus Baofeng radios are not waterproof.

There are other Chinese radio options, but they aren't quite as cheap.

RT55 Floating IP67 VHF Marine Radio

I have a few Retevis DMR HTs that I've bought on sale. They seem better quality than baofeng. Programming them is a real PITA, though. And I've had an extra class ham radio license for more than 25 years. I couldn't imagine a "civilian" would enjoy it.

The ability to hail your own boat / others in the area, or talk to the coast guard directly seems really good. Although VHF is going to have quite limited range from a short antenna basically at water level.
Depends on the area, but in general, the CG towers can pick them up. May have some issues with other boats, but CG can generally pick them up quite a ways. Plus, having DSC capability is huge.

I really like my Gen 1 Nautilus. When I need to replace, I will get a handheld with GPS and DSC, then find a suitable way to bring it with me.

I would keep mine inside my suit

full.jpg

for "streamlining"

Nor to use them if you are not a licensed amateur radio operator.

Even with a ham radio license, it's not legal to use those radios on marine, FRS, or GMRS frequencies.

Although VHF is going to have quite limited range from a short antenna basically at water level.

3-3.5 nautical miles at that height of eye is the range for a VHF radio.

Reactions: OTF
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom