How is the dive at Vandenburg in Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake 10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How is the dive at Vandenburg in Key West compared to Eagle, Duane, or Spiegle Grove up in Key largo? Looking for experience, stories, and feedback. I found the following article regarding some ships but lacks information on the Spiegel Grove; Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary Shipwreck Trail

I hear the Vandenburg is more difficult because there is no shelter from the currents, but that could be true as well for the Duane and Spiegel during some seasons.

The Vandenberg is pretty dull its just big. I’ve seen more stuff on the Duane and Speigel and its less effort to get to them.

Haven't done Duene/SG, only the Vandenberg. and the Eagle. I thought the Vand. was spectacular because it's so big. Saw a lot of life on it too. (March 2020). The day before my first dive on it, there was a 6-8ft hammerhead hanging out a few of my friends got to see. The swim-throughs on it are awesome too.

Hi @Jake 10

I would imagine that the best answer is that all four are quite variable. I have a good number of dives on the Spiegel Grove and the Duane, only a couple on the Eagle and three on the Vandenberg. I have been to the Spiegel Grove and the Duane when the dives were cancelled due to the current. I have dives on both with no current up to quite vigorous current. I have dived both in crystal clear water and with terrible visibility.

We were able to dive the Eagle and the Vandenberg the days we were there, moderate current and medium visibility. There are plenty of places on the SG, Duane, and Vandenberg to stay out of the current, I don't remember the Eagle, probably there too.

I did most of theses dives no stop, a few had very light deco <5 min. All were done with around 32% nitrox. This thread reminds me, I really need to get back to Key Largo someday. Don't forget the Bibb also. It's just too far to Key West to think I will dive the Vandenberg again, though would like to.

upload_2021-6-16_15-50-43.png

I don't have a ton of experience but I have been on the Duane for 4 trips and the Spiegle 4 trips, the Vandy twice. We have been lucky and the conditions have always been very good. From my understanding the Vandenberg can get sporty with the currents and one of our dives the viz dropped from 80 ft to about 30. We like the wrecks out of Key Largo cause we tend to see better critters. We are going down in July and are diving through out all the keys and we choose to do the Spiegle again.

Thanks for starting this thread -- might have a chance to dive the Vandenberg over Winter Break. Any thoughts on operators? Would probably book a guide at least for the first time there. Do they usually just do the dive on AL80s or is anything a little bigger available (e.g., steel 100s)?

Also, will be closer to the Thunderbolt, so if anyone has any feedback on that, I'd be interested. Probably will only have one day available to do a somewhat advanced dive, and the Vandenberg is sort of the signature wreck on that end of the keys, right?

Thanks for starting this thread -- might have a chance to dive the Vandenberg over Winter Break. Any thoughts on operators? Would probably book a guide at least for the first time there. Do they usually just do the dive on AL80s or is anything a little bigger available (e.g., steel 100s)?

Also, will be closer to the Thunderbolt, so if anyone has any feedback on that, I'd be interested. Probably will only have one day available to do a somewhat advanced dive, and the Vandenberg is sort of the signature wreck on that end of the keys, right?
I did two dives on the Thunderbolt in one day, the max depth is deep, 120-121 feet as is the average depth, 80-81 feet. Dive times on 32% were correspondingly short, 45 and 31 minutes. There was not much life on the wreck. Given the option, I would probably skip the Thunderbolt in exchange for the Vandenberg.

might have a chance to dive the Vandenberg.... Any thoughts on operators?

Captains Corner for the Vandy.

Hi @Jake 10

I would imagine that the best answer is that all four are quite variable. I have a good number of dives on the Spiegel Grove and the Duane, only a couple on the Eagle and three on the Vandenberg. I have been to the Spiegel Grove and the Duane when the dives were cancelled due to the current. I have dives on both with no current up to quite vigorous current. I have dived both in crystal clear water and with terrible visibility.
We were able to dive the Eagle and the Vandenberg the days we were there, moderate current and medium visibility. There are plenty of places on the SG, Duane, and Vandenberg to stay out of the current, I don't remember the Eagle, probably there too.
I did most of theses dives no stop, a few had very light deco <5 min. All were done with around 32% nitrox. This thread reminds me, I really need to get back to Key Largo someday. Don't forget the Bibb also. It's just too far to Key West to think I will dive the Vandenberg again, though would like to.
View attachment 665808

Hi Scubadada, thank you for your feedback. Do you know if the currents are stronger in some months and moderate or no-current in other months? I understand the currents also depend on atmospheric phenomena's in the Gulf and Atlantic Ocean, and currently there is low activity on tropical storms and hurricanes.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom