• DGX 30# package

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • HOG 32# total BC package

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Deep6 30# package

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapr1705

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am trying to decide in my first backplate/wing.

Currently have a Hollis Katana 2 which I love for both single and double sidemount, but want to get a single backmount BC that stays in budget ($500 top) and that I can easily carry around divesites and possibly travel with it.

My dives will be in the Caribbean, salt water and I currently use 4 pounds of weight when single sidemounting.

Also, should I get an aluminum or steel plate?

you can go either way with the plate whether you prefer to save a few pounds on luggage or save a few pounds on a belt/trim pocket weights.

I voted hog because thats what i have and am happy with it. Id imagine the other options are fine too since a bp/w is pretty straight forward (hog wing does not need sta, not sure about that on the others) As for the weight, the 2 lbs aluminum plate plus a couple lbs of lead in the weight pockets would be best imho. A ss plate would have you a couple lbs heavy even with no additional lead.

Far as just wanting a BP/W I'd vote for the DGX. The lower cost is a huge part of that. I would simply get the DGX and add the trim pockets with alu backplate and call it a day for under $400

I have been looking how to order one since I'd seen them months ago... how does one order one?!
Have you looked into a Freedom Plate?

Here are links to threads about it on Scubaboard:
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/search/59996373/?q=Freedom+plate&o=date&c[title_only]=1

I have the DGX and love it. Served me well even for weeks of multiple dives in cold water, and I really like that DGX has so many spare parts for back-ups or replacements, and it's very affordable. The other bonus was that the DGX was much plainer and seemed very easy to tailor to myself and how I wanted the webbing and D-rings set up.

I don't have any experience with Hog but have heard good things. I almost got the Deep6 bpw but ended up not due to budget.

If you're planning on air travel with it, I would go for an aluminum plate. A steel plate could be nice (I know I prefer them for cold water to get weight out of my pockets), but you're diving warm water and probably won't need too much weight. It's a lot easier to add weight than take it off, especially if it's built in

If you're planning on air travel with it, I would go for an aluminum plate. A steel plate could be nice (I know I prefer them for cold water to get weight out of my pockets), but you're diving warm water and probably won't need too much weight. It's a lot easier to add weight than take it off, especially if it's built in
For diving in a 5 mil, I prefer SS as then I need to add less weight with an AL80.

DGX
Pro: good quality, wing shape, price, good customer service.
Con: none

HOG
Pro: good quality, good customer service
Con: wing shape is a little wider than competitor brand for same amount of lift.

Deep 6
Pro: good quality, good customer service, wing shape.
Con: Availability tends to be hit ot miss.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom