Shore Based Dive Locations with Live Aboard Type Diving Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Trecker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Working remotely for the next year and hoping to do it from locations with opportunities for frequent or even daily diving. Unfortunately, Live Aboards often have limited Wifi / Work Setup opportunities.
Hoping to start a discussion with listings of locations or even specific resorts / ops that offer great diving live aboard like experiences but from a shore based location friendly for remote working (strong wifi, rooms with desks or work spaces, easy and quick access to diving).
For example, Anilao and Puerto Galera are great options for this.
Last year spent a week in Buceo Anilao and a week at El Galleon Beach Resort. From both places there was superb close diving with lots of variety. There were days I got in 5 dives. At each resort they gave me a room with a large desk and access to strong Internet. Days of dive heaven, nights of work sin.
Recently did the same from Cozumel staying at Landmark and diving with Aldora. Easy pickup from the pier across the street at Money Bar and with the large steel tanks, you could potentially get over 6 hours underwater a day. Landmark had apartments with strong wifi and many with large desks. You were very close to the dive sites so very efficient. Easy to get up, work, dive, work, dive some more, work and maybe even night snorkel.
Are there other places like this? Also looking at Roatan, Red Sea, Raja Ampat.

Both Anilao and PG are so near but offering complete different style of diving. Can't go wrong with an combined trip.
Koh Tao in Thailand but the diving is very very average. Five dives a day is not a problem but you will get bore after few days.
Koh Lanta is better but the sites are very far. Ditto to Phuket.
IF(big if) Thailand does not have another surge in infection the country should be opened by early next yr.

Tioman Island but Malaysia is in total lock down for another 2 wks at the moment. Similar set up as PG as the sites are very near but not as good.

Stay Raja Ampat: The best Raja Ampat accommodation & travel information source
Not too sure about WiFi signal and facility provided.

Good luck to your search.

When Grand Cayman reopens, consider Compass Point and Ocean Frontiers. You can do 4 boat dives per day, 5 if there is a night dive.

What I want to know is how to get the stamina to dive in the day and then work at night. After diving, I'm usually so drained that staying awake long enough for dinner is a challenge.

Sounds like a great life if you can pull it off. I'm obviously envious.

What I want to know is how to get the stamina to dive in the day and then work at night. After diving, I'm usually so drained that staying awake long enough for dinner is a challenge.

The night dives are only a couple days per week :)

Curaçao and stay at Sunscape. Their house reef is huge, deep, and when it drops to a wall, it’s one of the best wall dives I have done anywhere. It starts with a 20-30 foot shelf then drops. I had over 15 hours on the reef and none of it ever got old. You can dive 24/7 and they give you a key to the dive room where tanks and weights are stored. Ocean Encounters has boat diving, but the house reef was good enough you didn’t need it. If you let Jorge know how many tanks you will need, he will make sure they are there for you.

again, huge house reef that is long and deeper than you want to go. There is a sunken barge at 180, and the bottom keeps going after that.

great food and service all around. I wrote a trip report on the curaçao forum if you want to know more details.

internet was good enough to file pleadings in federal court from my balcony looking over the beach with no problems. I usually have issues with that in Cozumel but can get it done. Seemed fast to me, but I’m not tech savvy to know the difference.

Cozumel will always be my second home, but I’d go back to Curaçao in 5 minutes if the opportunity presented itself.

Safe travels, I’m jealous!!
Jay

This is an excellent point!! And 10 years ago I could more easily do it, but now much tougher.
Some tricks I tried:
1. Time shift and work early BEFORE the dives. In both Phill and Cozumel, I was often going to sleep at 8 pm and getting up at 3.30 am or 4 am and putting in a half day before the first dive. I would strategically position a cup of coffee the night before for a caffeine kick.
2. Nitrox seems to help a bit vs straight air. I used to not think that the case but anecdotally it seems to help.
3. Afternoon dives can help. On Cozumel, I started shifting to afternoon dives with Aldora. It worked out very well if you can find an experienced boat. The reef was quieter (often we were the only boat out), the light was different, and often the 2nd dive becomes a twilight / night.
4. 2 looong dives vs 4 shorter dives. On Cozumel, the Aldora steel tank setup sometimes led to very long shallow dives. Had one two tank trip where we had 126 minute dive followed by a similar I think 10X minute dive. A lot of underwater time with only the 'work' of 1 trip with 2 tanks. Having 2 tanks with 23X minutes is less exhausting than 4 tanks at 55 minutes each for 240 minutes.

Not an issue when I was a lot younger.
Same as skiing and partying on the same day.
Those were the days. All history and memory.

This is awesome and super helpful! (PS: Lawyer also but negotiating merger agreements, financings, and joint ventures). ( :

Curaçao and stay at Sunscape. Their house reef is huge, deep, and when it drops to a wall, it’s one of the best wall dives I have done anywhere. It starts with a 20-30 foot shelf then drops. I had over 15 hours on the reef and none of it ever got old. You can dive 24/7 and they give you a key to the dive room where tanks and weights are stored. Ocean Encounters has boat diving, but the house reef was good enough you didn’t need it. If you let Jorge know how many tanks you will need, he will make sure they are there for you.

again, huge house reef that is long and deeper than you want to go. There is a sunken barge at 180, and the bottom keeps going after that.

great food and service all around. I wrote a trip report on the curaçao forum if you want to know more details.

internet was good enough to file pleadings in federal court from my balcony looking over the beach with no problems. I usually have issues with that in Cozumel but can get it done. Seemed fast to me, but I’m not tech savvy to know the difference.

Cozumel will always be my second home, but I’d go back to Curaçao in 5 minutes if the opportunity presented itself.

Safe travels, I’m jealous!!
Jay

This is awesome and super helpful! (PS: Lawyer also but negotiating merger agreements, financings, and joint ventures). ( :
AT&T Phone service was fine, clients only knew I wasn’t in Oklahoma if I told them. There was a delay in voicemail. I think phone service was $10 a day for some global plan.

introduce yourself to Norma at the pool bar. She became my Jamaican sister because every fat white guy needs a Jamaican sister and absolutely took care of us like family. Tell her that her Oklahoma Brother says hello.

it was an awesome trip.

jay

Back
Top Bottom