Diving in France

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joris Vd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dear scubaboarders,

my girlfriend have decided to go on a last minute holiday to France this year, (south of France) Saint-Cyprien and the Perpignan region specifically.

I've dived the Costa Brava (Medes, Rosas and those typical areas) multiple times and loved it. Alot of live, big groupers, barrucado, moray eels etc.

I was wondering if diving in the part of France is also as good diving-wise?

The year before we went to Crete, and although I liked the diving alot there, the general state of aquatic life there was a bit limited, and that's being generous.

What can we expect there? We were told Hyères is also worth it, but as that part of France (Marseille up to the cote d'azur) is MEGA-expensive in August, we decided not to go that route.

Are there any other regions in France you would suggest for diving? The Atlantic side could also be an option for us, but I'm not sure how the visibility is there, probably comparable to North Sea dives in Belgium/NL?

Hi !

Concerning the area around Perpignan, I'd say the best places to dive are : Collioure, Cerbère, Banyuls. There's a marine reservation there.

Only problem : the wind. Because of it, you might have choppy water, cold, and low viz.

Concerning the Atlantic : I dive regularly in the Biscay Gulf, off Arcachon and I do love it. Drawback : only one facility will get you there, but it's tek oriented, and you need to be nitrox or trimix certified, depending on the diving site (wrecks only). You'll have to endure long navigation, cold water (14°C max at the bottom even during summer) and viz is often problematic between 0 and 25m.

All depends on what kind of diving you plan to do while on holiday.

@JMBL Many years ago I had to do a CMAS entry level cert before I was allowed to play. (I did not argue)

Can anyone dive France using any Agency cert?

Well, nowadays, situation is much better than in the 90s, when I started diving : I began as a PADI OW.

Even if you got a non CMAS certification, you'll be able to dive, but you'll have probably less prerogative than in your home country. But it's best to check first with the facility you'll be diving with.

Moreover, some diving speciality are totally non existing in France : Solo diver for example.

I’ll be near Toulouse at the end of July and was looking for somewhere easy for a quick dive around those areas too. Not planning on having any gear with me though and have only just started diving again so confidence is low and the language barrier makes it even less likely that I’ll actually do it. Nice to read the options though.

@astr0b0y

Toulouse is not really the right place to dive, and I should know, I grew up there.

The closest diving sites are located in the Lot region (roughly 1h30 driving north) but that's cave diving. Here's a good address. They can provide you with lodgings, training, guided tours or just a first experience. English spoken btw, which is not really that common in my homeland...

The Atlantic offers a wide range of diving sites from Arcachon to the Spanish border in Basque country. Cold choppy water, dark, current. Rather complicated, but I do like it. My favorite place. Tek oriented mainly. English spoken.

The closest site on the Med should be Port Vendres. Here's my go to address. Rec and Tec oriented. With a huuuuuuuuge parking lot, which is a must during summer time.

If you drive a bit further and are willing to cross the Spanish border; you've got plenty of diving opportunities in Escala and Estartit on the Costa Brava. Haven't been there for quite a while, so I cannot give you any reliable address.

Hope you won't mind, but I need to ask : what will someone from down under do in Toulouse, right in the middle of summer ? Yeah, I know, curiosity killed the cat.

@JMBL What will we do indeed! More accurately we will be in Gaillac as that is where our in-laws are. So even more remote an I am assured there is not much to do but enjoy nice long hot days and relax. This is my first visit to France so I am excited by the promise of culture, cheese & wine. Hiking, swimming (any rivers to check out?) and wilderness is my preference.
Cave diving in Lot sounds enticing, especially as a first experience. I had not considered this at all given my lack of experience but the address you shared makes it seem totally possible. Thanks also for the other addresses - its all making more sense to me now!

@JMBL What will we do indeed! More accurately we will be in Gaillac as that is where our in-laws are. So even more remote an I am assured there is not much to do but enjoy nice long hot days and relax. This is my first visit to France so I am excited by the promise of culture, cheese & wine. Hiking, swimming (any rivers to check out?) and wilderness is my preference.
Cave diving in Lot sounds enticing, especially as a first experience. I had not considered this at all given my lack of experience but the address you shared makes it seem totally possible. Thanks also for the other addresses - its all making more sense to me now!

Ok, you'll find some nice wines in Gaillac, especially white wines (dry and sweet) from old local grapes. Cheese, you'll get that in le Lot (cabécou de Rocamadour ; goat cheese), and in Aveyron (Laguiole : cow, and Roquefort : ewe). As far as culture and history are concerned, I'll recommend a visit to Ste Cecile cathedral in Albi and Musée de la Berbie for Toulouse Lautrec. Have fun !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom