Frequent CCR divers, what do you do between dives?

Frequent divers - what do you do to clean your CCR between dives (apart from sorb dump question)

• Complete disassembly, freshwater rinse, sterilize loop

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Complete disassembly, freshwater rinse

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Leave assembled, freshwater rinse, sterilize loop

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Leave assembled, freshwater rinse

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Something else (specify)

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the inside of the lungs?
When you take the cover off, remove the scrubbers (plus the cell and solenoid trays), there's two 15cm/6' holes with the lungs underneath. You can reach in and clean the lungs with a cloth. With the unit standing upright (praise be for stands), there's plenty of air circulation to dry things out.

When washing the unit, you lay it down flat and fill the inhale lung with chemgene/whatever and the liquid balances over to the exhale lung via the loop. When done, remove the loop and it pours out, then hose out the sterilised water. Tip the water out of the top, then stand up and wipe down with the yellow cloth. Sorted.

(Assuming that some people aren't familiar with the Revo - the above is one of its strong points).

On my Kiss unit the lungs are below the canisters. Any moisture in the system goes through the scrubber and stays in the lungs. After passing through the scrubber that liquid has a PH close to 14. Nothing is going to live or grow at that PH. I rinse them out and spray or soak with steramine after repetative dives, but i dont worry about getting funky.

On my Kiss unit the lungs are below the canisters. Any moisture in the system goes through the scrubber and stays in the lungs. After passing through the scrubber that liquid has a PH close to 14. Nothing is going to live or grow at that PH. I rinse them out and spray or soak with steramine after repetative dives, but i dont worry about getting funky.
You still have a DSV or BOV and exhale hose full of lung butter. And inhale hose full of condensation

Pretty much every other unit avoids saturating the sorb with lung butter and spug to make a pH 13 mess. It ends up collecting in the exhale counterlung first.

Correct. In Arizona, with the scrubbers out, even inside my house, the counterlungs are dry in 30 minutes after mopping up any puddles. If I go through and hose the guts out it might take 2 hours.
I would probably be more lax in AZ than I am in WA too. Hanging up in my garage, my CLs can stay damp inside for over a week in the wintertime.

full.jpg

But be careful you don't want to flood it if you're way back in a cave
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

JJ, I dump the lung butter at end of diving then pour whatever unused Steramine is left over (couple ounces) from flushing my P valve into the loop and work it into the exhale counter lung, then dump that after the ride back. After a day of diving I pull the loop, head, and canister. If sorb is good I leave it out over night to dry, bag it in morning if not diving that day. Loop gets a quick fresh water rinse and hung to dry. Only remove CLs if not diving for a few weeks.

I've noticed if my CLs are getting due for a dunk the gas coming out when I calibrate gets a stale odor. I'll sanitize after that days dive. I let it go for a few days of diving after noticing that one time and my lungs felt kinda raspy on the third day. Learned my lesson.

‘Something else’ here as well...

Kiss sidekick.

3-4 day Diving trip (6-12 dives)... replace scrubber as needed, sterilize post trip, if there’s lots of moisture in the loop, rinse it.usually have an evening with an empty scrubber and drying out the cells.

Week long diving trip.... replace scrubber as needed and rinse the loop, bag scrubber and dry cells. Sterilize post trip or per 5-6 days, whichever comes first.

A dive a weekend... usually it’s a long and deeper dive, so bin the scrubber, rinse and sterilize the loop as I could be diving the next weekend, or a month later.

Salt water gets hosed down more often then freshwater.

But if diving different watersheds locally, rinse and dry as invasive aquatic species and disease are being carried between bodies of water.

Give or take....

Last month did a few long dives in a week, didn’t rinse the loop, last dive felt a little hoarse in the lungs... so I try to rinse more often than not.

_R

You still have a DSV or BOV and exhale hose full of lung butter. And inhale hose full of condensation

Pretty much every other unit avoids saturating the sorb with lung butter and spug to make a pH 13 mess. It ends up collecting in the exhale counterlung first.

Skip most of the thread? See my earlier, detailed reply addressing the loop.

JJ

it depends…

If I have plenty of scrubber life left for diving the next day I just empty the gloop from the exhale lung and loop hoses and leave it. This weekend it was hot so I left it with the loop closed to avoid it drying out any remaining gloop or introducing airborne bacteria to an idea growing environment. In typical U.K. (and especially Scottish) weather I would leave it open as it isn’t going to bake on overnight.

If I need fresh sorb for the next day (which is the usual case) then I do the emptying etc but also rinse the loop hoses and BOV but probably not the exhale lung (quantity of gloop there being variable, if it was awful I might give it a minor dilution/rinse). I try hard to dry off the inside of the head before reassembly. That reassembly is generally the night before the next dive.

If not diving for a short while, rinse the outside properly, especially the first stages which can retain salt water, rinse both the lungs with fresh water and invert to empty. Once everything is completely dry reassemble and leave open to gradually dry.

If likely not diving for a long time, as above but more so and with disinfectant. My general worry with the disinfect is that I rinse it out adequately. I leave the lungs full of water with the disinfectant in it for an hour or more then several rinsing flushes. By this point I am at home and it doesn’t matter how long it takes.

I have a set of lungs as a spare for the day I discover this regime isn’t adequate…

Triton
Almost always diving fresh water, couple of dives a week.
Between dives, remove lungs and loop leaving dsv connected. dry out.
Scrubber usually has caps on it, but when emptied is rinsed quickly.
virkon every two months or so, all gets stripped down and soaked, dsv gets stripped at the same time

After a week of diving I usually bring the virkon strip everything down etc. routine forward and do that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom