Is there a hydro requirement on bank cylinders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True. However, that does not mean they are safe, that your insurance company won't deny claims, or you have any defense if you get sued when one fails.

The insurance company can’t deny the claim. At least not in FL. Most states are similar.

(Note that a hammer test is not effective on aluminum cylinders.)
I specifically talking about smashing indents into the crown as part of the hydro which Luxfer tank manufacturer describes as negligent. Your reference is just some unsubstantiated internet troll. Produce DOT Act for immediate verification.

lol, @Wookie is one of the most respected and helpful person on the board. I can’t ever remember a subject matter that he weighed in where I found him to be wrong. You on the other hand behave like a blithering idiot.

Unless your shop extends over state lines there won't be one for stationary cylinders. Congress only has authority (via DOT) to regulate interstate commerce and the DOT packaging & testing specifications were written to that end.

Your state laws may cite DOT or CGA or ASTM requirements for stationary or "all" cylinders though.
Thank you.
At this point it is now clear that there is not a single country wide regulation.
It is up to each state. What is specified in one state is probably different that the next state. There is no single answer, but 50 different answers (and some are probably the same, but not planned that way).

-49 CFR Part 180.29(b)(iii)
-CGA Pam C-6 IBR 49 CFR 171.7
Please paste the relevant part. The link doesn't go there.

Unless your shop extends over state lines there won't be one for stationary cylinders. Congress only has authority (via DOT) to regulate interstate commerce and the DOT packaging & testing specifications were written to that end.

Your state laws may cite DOT or CGA or ASTM requirements for stationary or "all" cylinders though.

This.

I am in Minnesota. In Minnesota, pressure vessels (stationary or otherwise) must be inspected annually by an insurance underwriter or a professional engineer, with certain exceptions. Among the exceptions are portable cylinders that are kept in compliance with USDOT regulations. Many if not most other states have some sort of similar provision.

As for 10-year "star" service, in addition to the hammer test, bank cylinders are not eligible for the 10 year interval unless the cylinder is removed from the bank each time it is filled. The reason being to allow all sides and the bottom of the cylinder to be seen.

That said, having a bank hydroed is not a trivial matter. These are cylinders that weigh well over 100 pounds each. Safely loading, securing, transporting, and unloading them is involved, and the bank will typically be out of service for at least a week due to the turnaround time at the hydro shop. Some FDs use portable hydro services that come to the FD for these reasons, even though the cost is higher, as does our local dive club.

In many cases the bank, or at least some cylinders, may have to be revalved.

100 kilograms man are yours made of plastic, I can see what hapened there, mine are 232.80815 pounds each

This.

I am in Minnesota. In Minnesota, pressure vessels (stationary or otherwise) must be inspected annually by an insurance underwriter or a professional engineer, with certain exceptions. Among the exceptions are portable cylinders that are kept in compliance with USDOT regulations. Many if not most other states have some sort of similar provision.

As for 10-year "star" service, in addition to the hammer test, bank cylinders are not eligible for the 10 year interval unless the cylinder is removed from the bank each time it is filled. The reason being to allow all sides and the bottom of the cylinder to be seen.

That said, having a bank hydroed is not a trivial matter. These are cylinders that weigh well over 100 pounds each. Safely loading, securing, transporting, and unloading them is involved, and the bank will typically be out of service for at least a week due to the turnaround time at the hydro shop. Some FDs use portable hydro services that come to the FD for these reasons, even though the cost is higher, as does our local dive club.

In many cases the bank, or at least some cylinders, may have to be revalved.
"1001.3 Scope; Pressure Vessels; Labor and Industry

The owner of a pressure vessel not specifically exempted by Minnesota Statutes, Section 326B.988, must ensure that the pressure vessel is inspected by an insurance company authorized to do business in the state or the Department of Labor and Industry at least every two years."

This.

It is the same here in Washington. DOT cylinders are exempt from the boiler and pressure vessel code.
RCW 70.79.080: Exemptions from chapter. (wa.gov)

If you don't comply with the DOT rules as applied to pressure vessels used in interstate commerce, the state boiler and pressure vessel obligations are actually much more onerous.

Please paste the relevant part. The link doesn't go there.
That would be because those are the actual references in 49 CFR and not a link

Back
Top Bottom