Do you need a dive flag for shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is so interesting! On Saturday, my hubby and I went shore diving in Venice, FL, looking for shark teeth and generally messing around. We had our dive flag with us as we were surface swimming out. I saw this boat coming toward us and commented to my husband about the jerk obviously not paying attention to our flag. Then I noticed the boat said Venice Police. The officer told us we were each to be carrying a flag! I politely explained my surprise, stating that I thought we had to be within 50-100 feet of a flag (to be honest, I wasn't sure of the distance but have never heard of every single diver carrying one!), and that with the visibility we were usually about 3 feet from each other. He asked if we had a second flag with us, and since we didn't he said he'd let it go this time, but to be sure we each had one next time. Then he pulled up to a group of 6-8 divers (looked like a class maybe) and talked to them. Not sure if they were allowed to dive or not, since the group had one flag among them. I'm still a bit floored by this. From what you posted, the statute says in this case, we just need to be within 300 feet of a flag, so one flag between us should suffice. Am I interpreting this correctly? Has anyone else had this experience?
Who said cops know the law? From my experience, they do not.

Where can you dive in SE FL without pulling a flag, not BHB, where?
Dania erojacks. There your dive flag is really an irritant. If you are on the wrong side of the jacks, the flag line will get entangled in the concrete hedgehogs, guaranteed.

Dania erojacks. There your dive flag is really an irritant. If you are on the wrong side of the jacks, the flag line will get entangled in the concrete hedgehogs, guaranteed.
I have never dived there. I don't see much relief, why would your flag become entangled? So what do you do with your flag there?

If the Venice marine officer really did what was alleged, then the divers involved should call the Venice Police, try to contact the head of the marine unit and politely as possible, inform them of the gross ignorance of the office and provide the location and time of the incident. This is either complete ignorance or deliberate harassment, neither of which we should accept from public service employees.

I have never dived there. I don't see much relief, why would your flag become entangled? So what do you do with your flag there?
Because the jacks stretch out to the east, and there is always some current along the shore, north or south. So if the current goes north and you decide to check something on the southern side of the jacks, your flag line will cross the jacks and get entangled.

Because the jacks stretch out to the east, and there is always some current along the shore, north or south. So if the current goes north and you decide to check something on the southern side of the jacks, your flag line will cross the jacks and get entangled.
How is that different from steep east-west fingers? So what do you do with your flag?

How is that different from steep east-west fingers? So what do you do with your flag?
I like the southern side of the jacks more. So if the current goes south, it's OK and I carry the flag. If the current goes north, then I can leave the flag at some point and pick it up on the way back.

Safety first. Use a flag even if you are in shore dive. Its a good sign for boats, other swimmers to know you are under water, also a good reference point if you need help, you will be more visible. :wink:
Dive Safe!👌

Safety first. Use a flag even if you are in shore dive. Its a good sign for boats, other swimmers to know you are under water, also a good reference point if you need help, you will be more visible. :wink:
Dive Safe!👌
Sure, if the boaters/jet skiers give a damn. Lost count of the number of times the flag was ignored or people started yanking on the flag.

DW

Back
Top Bottom