Frequent CCR divers, what do you do between dives?

Frequent divers - what do you do to clean your CCR between dives (apart from sorb dump question)

• Complete disassembly, freshwater rinse, sterilize loop

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Complete disassembly, freshwater rinse

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Leave assembled, freshwater rinse, sterilize loop

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Leave assembled, freshwater rinse

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Something else (specify)

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Other"
If I dive saturday and sunday I just refill the tanks as needed and away I go for day 2.

If I am not diving until next weekend I dunk the loop hoses, BOV, and CLs in steramine and hang up to dry. In my climate they can stay wet for days.

Are there any cases of anyone catching anything from their own unit that have been recorded anywhwere?

You might want to rethink this. You are basically relying 100% on stuff drying. Not many bacteria or fungi grow absent moisture.
A significant benefit of a Revo - there's two great big scrubber-sized holes to let the lungs dry.

Are there any cases of anyone catching anything from their own unit that have been recorded anywhwere?
How do you tell where they got sick from? People get respiratory illnesses all the time (at least before we started routine mask wearing).

Personally I have seen the flappers in units owned by "rinse only" people and they are disgusting. The little bits of green ick also raise the specter of leaking. Steramine is cheap, harmless to rubber and fabrics, and avoids both of these problems.

A significant benefit of a Revo - there's two great big scrubber-sized holes to let the lungs dry.
Correct. In Arizona, with the scrubbers out, even inside my house, the counterlungs are dry in 30 minutes after mopping up any puddles. If I go through and hose the guts out it might take 2 hours.

I manage to rinse plenty of gunk out of my counterlungs and loop after just a couple hours of diving. I’d hate to imagine what might grow if I just left it in there.

I manage to rinse plenty of gunk out of my counterlungs and loop after just a couple hours of diving. I’d hate to imagine what might grow if I just left it in there.
Mushrooms? Nom nom nom.

I've seen some pretty nasty looking gunk/goop come out of counterlungs and witnessed two people get lung infections (Not 100% confirmed if it was from rebreather but highly suspect)

Personally, I see it as self-evident that I don't really want to breathe from a bag containing some sceptic gunge. Not only that, but I don't want to swallow it either (it's a Revo - liquid in the exhale lung runs down the exhale hose and sits against the mushroom valve bubbling.

Definitely interested in any tales people have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom