Hive mind help please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildebesste

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi

Looking for suggestions from all you knowledgeable SB folks...
Timeframe - a one week trip in the first half of August
Traveling from - Albuquerque NM.
Experience - PADI rescue divers, I have 125 (?) dives, wife has about half that.
Interests - all of it really. Not cave or wreck certified (yet) but enjoy a nice cavern or a swim through. Reefs and drifts, obviously. May take some classes on this trip.

So given the time of year, current travel situation etc - where should we go?

Thanks in advance

Nick

Hi @Wildebesste

If you decide to stay in the US, you could consider SE Florida or the Upper Keys. May be a little early, but perhaps beginning of Goliath Grouper aggregation in SE Florida. If you have questions about Boynton Beach, West Palm, Jupiter, feel free to send me a message.

I don't know if your budget includes airfare, but for a 1-week, Caribbean or southeastern FL trip in the near term future during a pandemic where restrictions have been an issue, I'd keep it basic with destinations known for good general Caribbean diving that have been accessible without too many hassles.

Cozumel, Mexico.
Roatan, Honduras.
Belize.

I love live-aboards, and Roatan is served by 1 and Belize by 2. But I don't like paying list for Aggressor Fleet boats; I book when there's a big sale, like last November. So I wouldn't do a live-aboard this August unless you catch a big sale (I'd say 25% or better).

My Belize trip was to the outer atolls area via live-aboard; I haven't dove Ambergris Cay, which is the land destination you'll likely want to Search the forum for to get a sense of what it would involve.

Recently had a CocoView Resort in Roatan trip and quite happy with it. It's got a kind of 'all in one' simplicity coupled with a lot of diving and a good price. A couple of the dive sites had big vertical cracks in the reef wall with good swim throughs.

I had one Cozumel land-based trip staying at Casa Mexica and diving with Tres Pelicanos. Here are my research notes for Cozumel. You can dive a lot, enjoy good food at good prices from different establishments in San Miguel, walk around town shopping here and there at random, and if you want a cavern dive badly enough, you can take a day to ferry over to the mainland and do a cenote dive. Cozumel is drift diving; if you like hovering over a single coral head for extended times waiting for the perfect photo frame with a blenny or nudibranch, might not be your thing. But if you like covering some ground without too much effort...

There are other destinations, and other things to see (e.g.: Goliath grouper out of Jupiter, FL). But with your parameters and the current international situation, I think focusing on those 3 will serve you well. Plus you need to plan and arrange airfare pretty soon.

Have you been to any of these before? People often want to broaden their experience with new destinations.

Well one week pretty much limits you to the Caribbean and the Pacific coast of the Americas. So we've already narrowed it down.

Where have you been already and what did you like/dislike about them? And then we can wait for @drrich2 to answer everything :)

So far Egypt, Thailand, Florida, Cozumel for vacations with a smattering of days in other random places:

Egypt- Likes- where I learned and probably still the most spectacular and colorful reef life. Falafel. Dislikes - not crazy about Islamic countries and the Middle East.

Thailand - Likes - aquatic life not quite as good as Egypt IME but a beautiful country, and do enjoy the whole 'step off the boat and into the beach bar' vibe. Generally interested in Thai culture (Muay Thai etc) and food. Lovely people if you behave respectfully. Dislikes - the excesses of Phuket city, Pattaya etc. Overrun with dickhead foreigners in places. Getting there.

Florida - Likes - getting really interested in springs and caverns, exploring in crystal clear cool fresh water. Went to Vortex and Morrison Springs a few times. Not having to go to a third world country. We have family in central Florida. Dislikes - much of it is overdeveloped. Sometimes seems hard to get charters, but that might just be bad luck.

Cozumel - Likes - drift diving. Great food if you look in the right places. Friendly. Dislikes - not much. Cruise ship shore parties I suppose but they didn't seem to roam far.

Scuba Diving in Santa Rosa Blue Hole New Mexico

Dive local?

srsly: August is prime time Caribbean Storm & Hurricane Season. Best odds for avoiding would be ABC or Bay Islands
Yeah the Blue Hole is a nice overnight for us and a great training venue, but I think I would struggle to spend a week there! Where are ABC and the Bay Islands?

I don't know if your budget includes airfare, but for a 1-week, Caribbean or southeastern FL trip in the near term future during a pandemic where restrictions have been an issue, I'd keep it basic with destinations known for good general Caribbean diving that have been accessible without too many hassles.

Cozumel, Mexico.
Roatan, Honduras.
Belize.

Have you been to any of these before? People often want to broaden their experience with new destinations.

Thanks for taking the time:) Yes, I've been to Cozumel and loved the drift diving. Knowing the lay of the land there makes planning a little bit easier, but as you say it's also nice to broaden horizons. Roatan is intriguing. Did you have to jump through many hurdles to get there? Or back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom